Samsung T260 HD vs. Unibody Macbook Pro Display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rashid Alkaabi, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Rashid Alkaabi macrumors member

Hello,

I'm currently considering buying a new 26" monitor which can work as well as a TV for my dorms room to be used with PS 3. But I'm photographer (as a hobby) and I needed a screen to satisfy this hobby needs as well. I was considering Samsung T260HD but I'm just wondering about whether this screen will give me as sharp and colorful my unibody macbook pro display because I can easily tell the difference by comparing my mbp screen to my current Acer AL1917 screen. I was considering buying a new Apple Cinema Display but in many reviews it's not the best choice to go with especially with it high price comparing to other brands.
    Anyway .. this is a review of the monitor by cnet.com ..
    http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/samsung-syncmaster-t260hd-lcd/4505-3174_7-33192411.html

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards"

Rashid :)

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

The T260HD uses a TN panel like the MBP does, so it shouldn't be too big of a difference, and also the T2xx series is rated one of the best TN panel monitors around.

I have read around that the T260HD has problems like input lag and flickering, where as the smaller version, the T240HD does not. If you want a nice big "all in one" monitor, I would recommend a Dell Ultrasharp 2709W. That's what I got for the same exact reason you are looking for one. S-PVA panel gives amazing contrast levels and really accurate color for when you do your photography stuff. The only thing it doesn't have compared to the T260HD is the TV tuner.

3. Rashid Alkaabi thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

Thanks DeusInvictus7 for replaying back. Actually Dell 2709W looks solid but I'm concerned a little bit about the pricing? especially that such a monitor costs around $800 which almost as what Apple Cinema Display costs. Moreover, about what you said about the internal panels in the T260, do the Unibody macbook pros (early 2009) have the same TN panels? And one last thing Samsung have a matte screen while the MBP dont so would that be a big difference?

thanks in advance :)

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Hmm, as far as pricing goes, you can try what I did, just keep checking the Dell site every few days or so, and you never know, you might get a crazy deal like I did. I got it for half off on a one day sale that they had.

The MacBook Pros do use TN panels, although they could be of higher quality than the Samsung's, or the other way around, I'm not sure. The LED backlight on the MacBook Pro helps the color a lot too, especially in contrast ratios. And for the Macbook Pro being glossy and the monitor not...I wouldn't worry about it too much. For a screen that big, I would prefer it not to be a glossy screen, but I do love the glossy screen on my MacBook.

It's all about personal preferences, you just gotta choose. And I know that's the hardest part :p

5. Rashid Alkaabi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks DeusInvictus7 for your concern buddy .. you were so helpful :) ..

any-other advices ?

6. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I got the T240HD. I was actually looking for a TV that had a VGA/HDMI input to use a monitor. I came across that Samsung monitor at a good price and bought it. Haven't had a single problem with it and love it. Plays my box at 1080p no problem through HDMI. It also has a DVI input which is perfect for my MBP.

As far as the panel goes you can start to notice discoloration viewing from the sides/top/bottom. But since I am the one using the monitor it doesn't bother me because I tend to sit in front of it instead of to the side.;)

The digital tuner is a nice bonus as well. It has great reviews, one of the best TN panel monitors out there especially for its price.

Don't get a new Apple monitor...that would be worthless to you and your PS3. The Apple LED monitor has ZERO input variety/compatibility and I would never buy it. If you wanted that quality of a monitor I would search elsewhere.

7. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I have the UMBP & T260HD setup.

The MBP screen does look better but not by much. the T260HD screen is more like a matte or anti-glare screen, I rarely see any reflections in it, unlike the MBP but the MBP seems a bit richer looking.

Don't trust my eyes though, I wear glasses :)

Everybody's preferences are different but I do some photo and video (FCE4) as a hobby and I am happy with the setup.

8. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Its not your eyes. That's the trick of a glossy screen. It over saturates colors to give you much richer colors and higher black levels. The problem is the colors aren't as accurate and glare. They can be calibrated to be relatively close with some proper software/hardware but from the factory the glossy screens are maxed out to be eye catching in the store. The settings aren't exactly ideal for everyday use.

But that's another benefit of the T26(24)0HD monitor is that it offers a lot of adjustability and calibration.

9. Rashid Alkaabi thread starter macrumors member

Hello ,

Thanks xhambonex and Freewayjim for your kind assistance, I have went to one of the retailers stores and compares both displays .. they provide almost same picture quality after some calibration tweaking.. But unfortunately the one which was in there was Samsung T240 which is not what I was asking for, but the salesman promised that it'll be in stock next sunday so I'm waiting. But in the meanwhile I'm searching for any "better" alternatives if there's any .. + yeah Apple Cinema Display seems useless and it have a low ratings in many reviews.

10. akbc macrumors 6502

T260HD is an excellent TV/monitor.
    I use the VGA for my macbook, DVI for my main desktop PC, composite for Wii, TV cable (built-in DTV tuner which is just awesome) and 2x HDMI for DVD player and PS3.

I live in a small apartment alone so I needed an all-in-one capable monitor. And I got a great deal on the T260HD since it's now discontinued. (It was about to be discontinued when I bought it, so the sale was just crazy)

I'd say it's an excellent monitor/TV and you won't regret it :)

....and it looks great too.

11. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I just got a T200HD, the 20" model. It is fantastic, works very well and the piano black matches the MBP perfectly. The colors between the two are nearly the same, and I am sure you could adjust the monitor to be almost exactly the same, if not the same. Great display and the anti-glare works very well. Also, having the matte and gloss between the MBP and Samsung does not bother me at all.

12. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Why do you use a DVD player AND a PS3? the PS3 up-converts regular DVD's just fine in addition to playing Blu-ray's, just curious.

Plenty of good deals on the T260HD;
    http://www.google.com/products/cata..._catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4#ps-sellers

13. beestigbeestje macrumors regular

Samsung software

I have the T260 (without the tuner) and I wonder what color profile you guys are using for it. Because the standard syncmaster profile is much to blue if you ask me. I selected the same profile as the one of my macbook pro and I think it gives me the best result.
    Samsung's Display Software doesn't work for me either,..
    Anybody else having this problem?