Samsung T3 Partioning Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Trey M, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Trey M, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Hi, I have a 1Tb T3 I just picked up and I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure it for my needs.

I will likely use ~500GB in one partition as a bootable backup for my work device (using CarbonCopyCloner). The other 500GB will be used for multi-purpose storage. I was thinking I'd make the multi-purpose partition exFAT for dual Windows/macOS compatibility, and the other (backup) partition HFS+ (and eventually migrated to APFS). Does anyone see any problems with this configuration?

I'm also confused with how the Samsung out-of-box encryption software for Mac will affect my ability to use the drive as a bootable backup. I turned it on initially but it seems it will ruin my ability to use the T3 as a bootable backup using CCC.

Since Samsung's included encryption software requires you to type in a password in a live macOS environment in order to unlock the drive, I wouldn't be able to just plug-and-play it as a bootable device on my MacBook.

I'm wondering if I'm able to only encrypt one partition using Samsung's encryption software, and the other I can encrypt via CCC? Or, am I better off finding some different method for encrypting my drive/backups altogether, rather than using Samsung's included solution? Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

"Does anyone see any problems with this configuration?"

I wouldn't do it.
    Now and then, I recall seeing posts from folks who had a drive with cross-platform formatting on it. After connecting that drive to a PC, and doing something or other, they'd take it back to the Mac, connect it, and .... POOF! The "Mac side" of the drive wouldn't work any more. Their Mac stuff was gone.

If you want a drive for Mac use, FORMAT IT for Mac use (HFS+).

Use a DIFFERENT DRIVE for "cross-platform" stuff, a drive that is maintained for specifically that purpose. A decent-capacity USB flash drive works well for this.
    DO NOT put anything from the Mac "of value" on it.

Things just work better over the long term that way.

My opinion only.
    Others will disagree.
    Some will disagree vehemently.