All Devices Samsung T5 compatibility

chris4565

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Hi,

I plan on using my 500 GB Samsung T5 with my 2017 10.5" iPad Pro and with my iPhone X. I read on Reddit that in order to get it to work on the Lightning iPad Pro I would need Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter because of the extra power needed. Can I assume that this will work on the iPhone X as well?

Best wishes
Chris

haruhiko

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2009
I guess only the USB-C iPad Pro will be able to give sufficient power to the USB-C flash drive. For Lightning devices most likely we will need external power, having said that, I haven't checked on my own. I have the Sandisk USB-C Extreme SSD to test, but I will hold off upgrading to 13.0 for the moment.

chris4565

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Yup, according to Reddit the Lightning iPad will need extra power through the Camera Adapter for the T5. I just hope that it will also work for the iPhone this way.

chris4565

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
I'd like to bring this up again because I now tried to connect my T5 to my iPhone without any additional power --> doesn't show up. I then had the idea to put the iPhone on my wireless charger while the drive was plugged in --> doesn't show up. Is it really necessary to buy the camera adapter for it to work? Or should it also work with a wireless charger. Can anyone test this?

Thanks in advance
Chris

rhor

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I have the Apple USB camera adapter and a 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 inch. The iPad is still on iOS12 (duh). A few days ago I bought a Scarlett Solo and when I plugged it into the camera adapter and the adapter into the iPad, the iPad warned me that the Scarlett would draw too much power. I then plugged in a lightning cable, the warning went away and I was able to use the Scarlett without any problems. I'd assume the same is valid for external drives.

chris4565

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Thanks for your answer. I hope it will work with the T5. Perhaps someone who has the T5 can confirm this before I buy the adapter.

Edit: The strange thing is that I don't even get the message that the T5 needs additional power. It just doesn't show up in the Files app (tested on my iPhone X).

rhor

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I don't think the message shows up unless you have the official Apple USB adapter. That thing's quite sophisticated. It updated its own firmware the first time I plugged it in.

chris4565

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2018
Just wanted to post a quick update: I now bought the adapter and tried if it works. I can confirm that it works like a charm on the iPad and also on the iPhone.

Reactions: Speedman100