Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
So it seems they are joining the round watch club like LG, Moto, and Huawei. I'm a bit surprised they didn't hew closer to the Apple Watch design, which is closer to what they already have, but smaller. Perhaps they will make it smaller, too, with more feminine-looking band options available. I'm also surprised they aren't dropping the "Gear" name in favor of Samsung Watch or something similar, seeing as the Gear never really took off.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-teases-upcoming-round-gear-smartwatch/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Apple will eventually do the same. It may be 3 years or 5 years from now, but they will offer a round watch too.

Although, this really isn't a surprising move by Samsung. What is surprising is that they didn't do it sooner. I mean, they put out 6 different watches in a year. All they were missing was a round one.

----------

I'm waiting on the LG Urbane LTE to come to the US.....

If the LTE Urbane used Android Wear, I could see getting it. But it uses WebOS, and apps with built in hooks to Android will be limited. WebOS on the Urbane LTE will ultimately be self-defeating for LG, since the normal Urbane will be using Android Wear and have all the developers creating apps for it and not WebOS.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Apple will eventually do the same. It may be 3 years or 5 years from now, but they will offer a round watch too.

Although, this really isn't a surprising move by Samsung. What is surprising is that they didn't do it sooner. I mean, they put out 6 different watches in a year. All they were missing was a round one.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a round Apple Watch, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one. The App screen seems like they may have considered a round design at some point, but Apple likes the rounded rectangle, and they would need to design a lug to make it work with their existing bands. Lugs would make a round watch even bigger.

That said, I am surprised that Samsung hadn't tried one yet. If their Galaxy S6 introduction is any indication, they'll spend most of their launch presentation comparing it to the Apple Watch, so I expect we'll see a LOT of band options and premium design and materials to match. I wonder if they will do a gold version, or if anyone other than a watchmaker will try.

If they go with Android, it could be the Android Wear watch to beat. Even if they go with Tizen, it could be the undisputed leader in the non-Apple Watch market. I seriously doubt Apple will ever let the Apple Watch work with non-Apple phones, or allow such a high profile competitor's product to work with the iPhone, so we won't be able to crown any particular watch (Apple, Samsung, Swatch, Mont Blanc, LG, or anyone else) the absolute "watch to beat" since they will each be linked to particular ecosystems.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

----------

If the LTE Urbane used Android Wear, I could see getting it. But it uses WebOS, and apps with built in hooks to Android will be limited. WebOS on the Urbane LTE will ultimately be self-defeating for LG, since the normal Urbane will be using Android Wear and have all the developers creating apps for it and not WebOS.

Oh wow webos really? I thought someone was using it on smart TVs, that must be lg too eh?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's a shame they will handicap it with Tizen. Apple watch launches with 1000 apps, predicted to be 100,000 apps within the next year, and Tizen continues to plod along with just a few apps. Man I love Samsung but at times wish I was there to give them that slap upside the head they need.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

Meh....same could be said for Tizen but the reality is the apps that even the Gear S has available are more than enough. I'm sure Apple will have more but in reality I don't need the watch to do everything a phone can do.

I've had mine since day one and the things I use it for most are email, text, schedules, to do's, phone, weather, alarm/notifications for various things, health stuff.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Meh....same could be said for Tizen but the reality is the apps that even the Gear S has available are more than enough. I'm sure Apple will have more but in reality I don't need the watch to do everything a phone can do.

I've had mine since day one and the things I use it for most are email, text, schedules, to do's, phone, weather, alarm/notifications for various things, health stuff.

Tizen and WebOS have very little development for mainstream apps (and that is the point I am getting at.) For example, the Gear or Urbane LTE may get support for American Airlines, but not for Southwest, Jet Blue, Ryan Air or any other smaller airline, while those watches sporting Android Wear will. It is a similar issue with Windows Phone OS.

And this may be enough for some people, but when people buy the LtE Urbane thinking they will have access to the same apps as the normal Urbane (or that it isn't Android), they will be pretty disappointed that there aren't many apps at all.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Tizen and WebOS have very little development for mainstream apps (and that is the point I am getting at.) For example, the Gear or Urbane LTE may get support for American Airlines, but not for Southwest, Jet Blue, Ryan Air or any other smaller airline, while those watches sporting Android Wear will. It is a similar issue with Windows Phone OS.

True, but you really don't need to have a seperate app for the above. I travel every other week and use my Gear S with just about any airline. I have the apps on my phone and it's real easy to use them. Gear Notification Extender enables me to get just about any app notification on my Gear S. Even many that weren't/aren't supported out of the box, such as Hangouts.

Thus boarding changes for example all come through. I actually get them from both Google Now and the Airline. Boarding passes are easy too. Sure I suppose one could "check in" via a watch, but I'll tell you no thanks. I check in on my phone, snap a pic of the boarding pass and simply just pass it to my Samsung Wallet or even simply the Photos page on my Watch. 2-3 clicks and Viola, I check in with my watch. So far all the scanners have worked and only one airport TSA Agent was disgruntled and asked to see it on my phone.....that was at the initial check in before security though. At the gate they don't care.

Keep in mind, I see the point you're making. I'm just simply stating that not every app needs a corresponding watch app to work. Nor do I think people will need every app on both devices. Nice to have choices yes and that's what competition does. I use mine based on what I really need to have on my watch.

And this may be enough for some people, but when people buy the LtE Urbane thinking they will have access to the same apps as the normal Urbane (or that it isn't Android), they will be pretty disappointed that there aren't many apps at all.

perhaps but honestly, buyers of this type of tech should be savvy enough to ask some questions and IMO likely do some research ahead of time.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
So it seems they are joining the round watch club like LG, Moto, and Huawei.

I wonder if it'll have the rotating (or part rotating) bezel input like we saw in their patent application for a calendar app.

2014_samsung_round_patent.png

Re: Huawei. I'm waiting to see what their watch looks like in person. So far, it sounds great: 1.4" 400x400 round display, thinner case than most. Smaller than other round watches, too, at only 42mm.

Plus it's stainless steel with a sapphire crystal... all reportedly for $350 - $400... in a choice of case colors.

huawei-watch-three.jpg

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder if it'll have the rotating (or part rotating) bezel input like we saw in their patent application for a calendar app.

My guess is yes. At minimum, it would have similar functionality to the digital crown. I'm sure we could find more speculation on Samsung fan sites like Sammobile, which has been predicting this watch for months now.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
Unless it's made by Apple ?

Nope, I do think the round watches look nice, but for data centric use, I'd rather have a square watch.

Currently using a Pebble Steel, and I love the looks of the Asus Zenwatch, but it's not very water resistant, I'm in healthcare, wash my hands a thousand times a day.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
LOL. These are the same people that insisted the 3.5" screen on the iPhone was perfect. Then they insisted that 4" screens were perfect for one handed use.

Same thing will happen here. Square watches are the best, until Apple makes a round one.

How do we know Apple is going to make one?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It just smells a lot like the phablet situation. We shall see. Circular seems more fashionable , but I'm no fashionista

I think we've been trained to prefer circular watches as that's been the predominant shape very a very long time. It's the most efficient way to display an analog clock face. Aesthetically, I also like a circular shape for my watch. But I do agree that a square or rectangular shape is far more efficient to display text and data. There's a reason why it's the dominant shape to display data in our culture--paper, smartphones, televisions and displays all use that shape.

Square/rectangular may not be a preferred shape but it is more functional.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I think we've been trained to prefer circular watches as that's been the predominant shape very a very long time. It's the most efficient way to display an analog clock face. Aesthetically, I also like a circular shape for my watch. But I do agree that a square or rectangular shape is far more efficient to display text and data. There's a reason why it's the dominant shape to display data in our culture--paper, smartphones, televisions and displays all use that shape.

Square/rectangular may not be a preferred shape but it is more functional.

More functional in the sense that you can cram (slightly?i mean it's still a darn small screen)more information on the screen. It can't actually do anything that a circular screen can't though. I figured the watch would be one area where aesthetics trump :p I guess theyll just keep making the iMac thinner instead /tongue in cheek :)

It may be because I have little experience with the watches but isn't the intent really to see if you want to pull the phone out and read the information anyway?

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
More functional in the sense that you can cram (slightly?i mean it's still a darn small screen)more information on the screen. It can't actually do anything that a circular screen can't though. I figured the watch would be one area where aesthetics trump :p I guess theyll just keep making the iMac thinner instead /tongue in cheek :)

It may be because I have little experience with the watches but isn't the intent really to see if you want to pull the phone out and read the information anyway?

Well, being able to cram more info on a small screen is even more important when space is at such a premium. We present and read text in lines, general from left to right. The amount of info you can display at the top of a circular display vs a square or rectangular display is significants different. At the same font and line size, you'll be able to display more lines if text on a square than a circle, it's simple geometry--and yes, that makes it more functional.

I'm not saying a smart watch should be square or rectangular simply because it's more functional in that shape as more so than with smartphones, aesthetics play a much larger role in watches. People traditionally have bought watches because of how they look because for the most part, they all give the same info, the time. Smart watches adds something new to the equation because their intentions is to provide much more than just the time. The key will be balancing those two elements.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
How do we know Apple is going to make one?

It was sarcasm and hyperbole. ;) Although, I do believe Apple will eventually make a round watch.

----------

Well, being able to cram more info on a small screen is even more important when space is at such a premium. We present and read text in lines, general from left to right. The amount of info you can display at the top of a circular display vs a square or rectangular display is significants different. At the same font and line size, you'll be able to display more lines if text on a square than a circle, it's simple geometry--and yes, that makes it more functional.

I'm not saying a smart watch should be square or rectangular simply because it's more functional in that shape as more so than with smartphones, aesthetics play a much larger role in watches. People traditionally have bought watches because of how they look because for the most part, they all give the same info, the time. Smart watches adds something new to the equation because their intentions is to provide much more than just the time. The key will be balancing those two elements.

Ironically, more information can be displayed on a circular watch like the 360, than on the square Apple Watch. Additionally, square information screens of equal size to what the Apple Watch displays are utilized on round watches, like the 360.
A square fits in a circle and can display a lot of info. A circle inside a square (like with the watch faces on an Apple Watch) are smaller and more cramped, than on a watch like the 360. Gives the illusion that the apple watch is even smaller than it already is.

Square screen data like you would see on an Apple Watch, can easily be utilized on a moto 360, but look at all the unused space!
maxresdefault.jpg

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
It was sarcasm and hyperbole. ;) Although, I do believe Apple will eventually make a round watch.

----------

Ironically, more information can be displayed on a circular watch like the 360, than on the square Apple Watch. Additionally, square information screens of equal size to what the Apple Watch displays are utilized on round watches, like the 360.
A square fits in a circle and can display a lot of info. A circle inside a square (like with the watch faces on an Apple Watch) are smaller and more cramped, than on a watch like the 360. Gives the illusion that the apple watch is even smaller than it already is.

Square screen data like you would see on an Apple Watch, can easily be utilized on a moto 360, but look at all the unused space!

Exactly, because screens are measured diagonally, a 1.5" circular screen would have more screen surface than a 1.5" square watch. I would much prefer a round watch.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Lol

Seriously?
You guys need to take geometry again.
Moto 360 is larger in every way compared to the Apple Watch, which is why the screen is larger.
AW: 42 x 35.9 = 1507.8 mm^2
Moto 360: 46mm diameter = 1662 mm^2
To make a round watch with same surface area, it would take a 43.8mm diameter circular watch, which is larger than the Apple Watch (42 longest side vs 43.8).
But for displaying data, the 44mm diameter watch will not be able to compete with the Apple Watch, because circular = cut off corners.

Also the Apple watch screen is much smaller than the moto360 and that was most likely done intentionally for aesthetics.
Aesthetically, a huge (45mm) case with thin bezel makes for a very very large looking watch.
Even the largest popular watches that are 45-47mm (like many from Breitlings and DSSD from Rolex) in diameter usually sport thick bezels because thin bezel+large dial make for a foolish look, like a 50mm Nixon watch or a 60mm Diesel watch.

While those 50mm+ watches may look fashionable to some small number of people, it would not be a good look for most people, which is why the Moro 360, which resembles a Nixon watch with its humongous dial, has not sold well compared to the AW.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-naQqYxAYR...HuQPG6zvz28/s1600/20140908_161626_Android.jpg

this looks like a 40mm Rolex Submariner, which is perhaps the most popular luxury sport watch for men.
as you can see, the Moto 360 dwarfs it.

Compare that with the Apple watch (38mm) sitting next to probably a 36-37mm Patek Philippe
https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/432141881006.jpeg?quality=80&w=750

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I still maintain the point regarding how much data do you think your going to be reading on these very small screens that merits giving up the aesthetics.

Apple finally releases a much lauded phablet and the following year everyone is digesting content on tiny screen watches? You guys sound like android users with this talk of displaying more data more efficiently. :D. I thought less was more, very interesting how iOS and android have swapped mentalities for their watches.

And who said the moto 360 was smaller than the apple watch?

As far as comparing sales, aw being the only watch comapitble with iOS for real can't be ignored. I would wager 360 sales , well any android wear, would increase if apple would allow compatibility

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.