Samsung to Produce A9 Chips for Apple's Next-Generation Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 4, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Longtime Apple rival and supplier Samsung will be responsible for manufacturing the A9 chips for Apple's next-generation iPhone and iPad, Re/code confirmed today. Over the past several months, there's been a lot of confusion over whether Samsung or Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) would produce Apple's A9 chips, but recent rumors suggest that Samsung's technological advances have put it ahead of TSMC.

Apple signed a chip production deal with TSMC back in 2013 with the hopes of diversifying its supply chain sources and reducing its reliance on Samsung because of ongoing legal battles, but it has been unable to break away from Samsung for its A-series processors. Both TSMC and Samsung produced 20-nanometer A8 and A8X processors for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in 2014, though TSMC handled the bulk of the orders.

[​IMG]
    20-nanometer A8 chip in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, via Chipworks​
    At a time when Samsung's mobile division is seeing profit loss due to flagging sales, the company's semiconductor business has helped to balance out some of the losses with continued growth. During the last quarter, Samsung's chip division earned 2.7 trillion won, making supplier relationships like the one that it has with Apple highly important to the company.

Samsung is reportedly already manufacturing A9 chips for Apple, built on its 14-nanometer chip process that has outpaced TSMC's production capabilities. As detailed by Re/code, the 14-nanometer process will result in smaller chips that use less power.
    Samsung has not confirmed that it is producing chips for Apple, but Samsung semiconductor president Dr. Kinam Kim said in October that Samsung is expecting chip profits to grow over the coming year thanks to demand for its 14-nanometer chips.

Little is known about Apple's next-generation iPhone, but based on past releases and upgrade cycles, the new smartphones will use A9 chips and may feature updates to the camera. Rumors have also suggested that Apple may be planning to incorporate an A9 chip into its "iPad Pro," which may debut in the second or third quarter of 2015, and the A9 in some form will undoubtedly also make an appearance in 2015 iPad Air/mini upgrades.

Article Link: Samsung to Produce A9 Chips for Apple's Next-Generation Devices

2. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Usually I'd be excited, but I'm holding out for the iPhone '7' :)

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Queue all the anti-Samsung comments...

----------

As will I.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Good stuff. Samsung's chip production is top notch.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

A9 chip is going to be an absolute beast. The power Apple is getting out of this, with the combination of hardware and software, is pretty staggering -- especially considering the benchmarks are competitive with Android devices running at twice the clockspeed and twice the number of cores.

Apple are definitely in this for the long run. If they continue pushing the hardware it's going to substantially pay off in 5 years.

6. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Guaranteed it will be thinner, lighter, and faster than the current gen. :D

7. WhoDaKat macrumors 6502

Just sell your iPhone and you can get a new one each year. I am interested in seeing how well the resale value on 6+ holds up.

8. allanfries macrumors 6502a

allanfries

Could this be the start of better battery life?

9. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

I keep my iPhones for nostalgia haha

10. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Seem this story always runs with only the chip number changing that will power the next generation of ......

11. Tomball macrumors newbie

Surely you mean 2015

12. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    "in 5 years"??? I believe Apple has already realized "substantial" several times over. They just had the biggest quarter of any company ever. That almost reads like the pay off is still way out there in the future. The way they're going, in 5 years, they might be ruling the world, er, I mean iWorld. ;)

13. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Well...since that is a year and a half away, I will enjoy what I have now and plan on picking up an 6s in the fall. :)

----------

I will be enough to cover most of the cost of the new iPhone 6s and more. Most of the time I break even on 2 year old phones when getting the next iPhone.

14. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Very true, though I meant more in the context of CPU design. It's not likely they'll leapfrog Intel but they could well overtake AMD. Of course, at the moment they don't manufacture or design their chips for any devices other than their own, so I guess it wouldn't really matter too much.

15. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Quad core A9 with 2gb ram iphones , i'm crossing my fingers hard.
    Doesn't matter who makes them.

16. MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

17. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Undoubtedly, the A8.

18. WrQth macrumors member

Not likely, each new generation has only had equal or slightly better battery life. For better battery life they need a better battery.

19. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

No idea, but if it is released alongside the iPad Air 3 in the fall (or whenever they release a new 9.7" iPad with the A9 chip), it will probably have the A8 in it.

Supposedly, an updated iPad Mini (with the A8) was going to eat into the profits of the 6 Plus (which is a BS concept to me), so they're going to keep it a processor generation behind so that people buy the 6 Plus, not the Mini.

20. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Yes, Samsung fab is better than TSMC hence the reason for Apple switching back. Battery life under use and also standby battery life will get better. 32nm Exynos already has 6 day standby battery life so imagine 14nm.

21. garbage-barge macrumors member

22. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

So basically a rumor at this point.

23. Mattsasa macrumors 68020

Mattsasa

Does Samsung produce the chips for samsung Galaxy phones ?? Honest question

24. mhunter207 macrumors newbie

absolutely, smaller manufacturing node at 14nm means a smaller SoC/Chip, a more overall power efficient chip, and also being quite a bit more powerful, which means= more room for bigger battery capacity then current generation, so improved power efficiency and better performance in the Apple A9 SoC, and also a slightly bigger battery bump up in the 6s and 6s plus = even better battery life

i cant wait to see how awesome the 6s plus is gonna perform on battery life, a 14nm Apple A9 SoC with a slightly better battery then the current 2900 mAh in the Plus will be absolutely incredible

----------

They use Qualcomm in most of their Galaxy devices, and Exynos is Samsung's own custom designed SoC/Chip. rumors are saying Samsung is not going to be using qualcomm anymore and is going to be using all Exynos SoC's in all future Galaxy devices which would make it like Apple and how Apple does it with their Apple "A" series processors

25. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

It would be, however, Apple are going to announce an even thinner iPhone, so the battery life will be the same as it is now ;)