Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I don't see how this is a huge deal. Consumers deserve to know they're receiving / buying refurbished phones but if the issue was determined to be related to 2-3 components and those were swapped and now the phones are being sold at a discount to customers who want them instead of going to land-fills, this is a good thing.

Samsung makes good with shareholders, the environment and customers who want a cutting-edge phone at a lower price w/ the issues resolved.

Now, if these things blow up, then i'll eat an egg sandwich.

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
If the price of the refurbs was good (I suspect not, given Samsung's pricing history), these might actually be a success. The Note 7 was a really nice phone otherwise.

If they sell them in Europe for anything resembling reasonable money I'd get one.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
For $100 I would pick one up to play around with it.
Not gonna happen. That hardware is worth 600 which is what I am sure it's going to sell at
[doublepost=1490708034][/doublepost]
How can they expect any sane person to buy this phone?

"Hey we know our devices caught fire, as well as the replacement units but hey 3rd times the charm"..
I would buy it if I could afford it

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
You realize they've said this before and they still exploded. Do you really want to risk your home, and potentially your life on this?

I mean you can make your own choice but I think it'll be fine. As long as they demonstrate what they've changed I can make my own mind up.

The last time they were really pressured to come up with an answer. This time around they've had ample time to think it through and do thorough testing.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
They couldn't take another risk at this stage. They probably used a smaller battery.

Simply selling them is another risk! Even if they are safe and fixed... there is still a standard background chance it will burn up if people use poor charging cables etc.

They just need one story like that, or some prankster to claim his started on fire who creates a fake video of it.

Truly foolish in my opinion. It "was a great phone" - if it didn't blow up.

Reactions: tongxinshe

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Reactions: decafjava

symphara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2013
How can they expect any sane person to buy this phone?

"Hey we know our devices caught fire, as well as the replacement units but hey 3rd times the charm"..
Very few (as in tens, vs millions sold) had a problem to begin with, so the odds were tiny.

Now Samsung seems to have gotten to the bottom of it, they have very comprehensive research on the topic, so it's reasonable to believe that refurbished units will use a different battery design with no problems.

The Note 7 was an excellent phone (best-in-class screen, camera, excellent processor, stylus etc), it remains to be seen if Samsung will sell these refurbished units at a price reflecting both the bad reputation of the device (mostly hysterical, but bad nonetheless) and the fact that probably they won't receive any software update or any significant one (I imagine, given their poor update policy in general, they won't spend a minute developing more software for the Note 7).

You realize they've said this before and they still exploded. Do you really want to risk your home, and potentially your life on this?
Literally none of them exploded. A few overheated badly.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
"Minimize environmental impact" ... haha. Like they give that much of a crap about that. Marketing.

This is the real reason: "Minimize financial loss from the two recalls."

Reactions: BlueParadox

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Interesting.....

Lithium batteries are already classified as Dangerous Goods. And since no airline or cargo company can be forced to transport DGs....I wonder if they will charge Samsung extra because of the reputation of the Note 7?

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I'd love to buy one, too bad they're not going on sale in the United States.

I'd much rather a Note7 with a smaller battery over the Galaxy S7 Edge I have right now... I just don't like the curved display.

Reactions: npolly0212
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.