Samsung TV acting strange since AT4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by paulold, Dec 4, 2015.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

One of my favorite features of the AT4 is its ability to change the settings of my TV, to switch it from my cable box signal to the AT4 signal vis HDMI-CEC. Previously, I had to find my TV's remote to change the source. So I was pleasantly surprised when I first turned on my AT4 that my TV just switched itself over. (It was annoying that it then turned off the TV when I turned off the AT4, but I think I've figure out how to prevent that from happening, in my TV's HDMI-CEC settings.)

But since getting my AT4, my Samsung 50" Plasma TV (which is about 6 years old) has been turning itself off over and over again. I get home, I turn on my TV (I'm just watching cable and my AT4 is off) and my TV will shut itself off at a random moment. I turn it back on and a minute later, it shuts itself off again. Over and over. I've read online that this could be a problem with the TV itself, maybe a bad circuit board, but I find it a funny coincidence that I just got an AT4 which has the ability to shut off my TV. I have turned off my HDMI-CEC via the TV's settings and the problem has not yet returned. But I think it's too soon to say I've solved the problem. But I thought I would mention this here to report a possible problem with the ATV4. Might it be sending erroneous signals to my TV even when it's off?

2. flux73 macrumors 65816

I don't see how that's possible. If the ATV4 is off, it's off. There's no electrical signal being sent.

One way to know for sure - unplug the HMDI cable whenever you're watching cable.

3. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

When our main TV started using the bi-directional/CEC mode, it also started doing auto-shutdowns based on no signal. Maybe it's some kind of auto power down setting, when it doesn't detect a signal from the HDMI port where the ATV is connected[?] Is your cable via an HDMI off a STB?

I will say, the CEC tech is +really+ sketchy, heck, I had ours disabled for months, and I'll swear during some update it managed to re-enable itself :D

4. rolsskk macrumors 6502

Sometimes it's the TV trying to "sense" a device. I'd try changing the HDMI ports on the TV, and if that doesn't work, try swapping cables, and then do different ports again.

5. flux73 macrumors 65816

This actually would make some sense, but it would be a faulty implementation of CEC. You could also test this out by turning on your ATV4 while watching your cable and just let it idle (maybe lengthen the sleep time).

6. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice. I will troubleshoot and see if I can solve the issue while maintaining this functionality. I like this feature - so I don't want to have to turn off CEC altogether.

I just remembered another quirk. Sometimes when my AT4 is on, the source list on my TV gains another "virtual" source - the HDMI-CEC, which goes away when I stop using my AT4. But my AT4 is plugged into the same HDMI jack where my AT3 was, which I had assigned and labelled as "Apple TV". One of the main reasons I have an AT is to listen to music on my stereo (in a roundabout way, I know, via my TV). But the sound was not making it to my stereo if my TV was set to HDMI-CEC. If I switched the source to where my AT4 was physically plugged in, the sound would work.

The more I think about it, I feel like I'm heading towards not using HDMI-CEC at all.

7. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Just a quick update. I haven't tried anything else other than to turn off CEC in my Samsung TV's settings. The TV has yet to turn itself off since I did so. I suppose the test now would be to turn it back on and see what happens.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I've mentioned it in other threads, but HDMI-CEC is a hit or miss. It either works perfectly or is a massive headache

9. piecloud macrumors member

The problem is mostly with the TV manufacturers. They never really tested hdmi cec properly. Very few users tried to use it before, and always got frustrated. Now Apple TV and boxes like fire tv are making more users to get frustrated. My hope is that they'd start taking this seriously and not just as another feature to pad their features list.

10. AL2TEACH macrumors regular

I also have a Samsung and read the CEC is flaky and the solution was to turn