Samsung TV and Apple TV 4th Generation

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JimmyNJ, Sep 2, 2016.

1. JimmyNJ macrumors newbie

Experienced an issue with my Samsung TV and newly installed Apple TV 4th generation. Samsung TV keeps rebooting itself, first it started with just three times now every 10 seconds. Finally was able to figure out the issue (after 5 freaking hours!). Apparently Apple TV automatically enables Anynet+ on Samsung TV which in turn throws it into a rebooting loop. After turning it off everything is fine.

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Might check to see if the Samsung needs a software update. The point of anynet is to make connecting with various devices easy... even "for dummies" easy. Samsung shouldn't care if a TV buyer wants to hook up an :apple:TV enough to sabotage the connection. I suspect if you run Samsung's software update, there will be one.

Whether yes or no, you might also experiment with anynet on and connecting the :apple:TV to a different HDMI jack. I have mine hooked to a Samsung TV and have had no such problems with anynet.

3. John_Hagan macrumors member

John_Hagan

I've had my ATV 4th gen hooked up to a Samsung tv that is about 1 year old without any problems. The tv has the "Anynet feature and works fine with the ATV. I agree with the previous poster that it may be time to check for an update from Samsung.

4. cynics macrumors G4

I randomly started having a problem with my Samsung TV and ATV (PS4 too I think). I would turn the PS4 off which would turn the TV off but then the ATV would start which would turn the TV back on so I would turn the ATV off then TV would shut off and then the PS4 would come on and turn the TV back on....if that makes any sense.

I ended up disabling the HDMI CEC on the ATV and it seem to have stop that non sense but I need to turn both on now...not a big deal.

BTW I was dealing with all that at 3am when I needed to get up for work at 430am...it was maddening.

5. JimmyNJ thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked for software my TV is is from 2010 and Samsung doesn't have any new firmware updates anymore. so I guess i am stuck with this - although I will try another HDMI jack not sure what will that change

6. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I think my Samsung TV is also a 2010 model.

Unless things have changed, only one of the HDMI ports on 2010 Samsungs is the Anynet port. So switching your :apple:TV to a different port should break that functionality in your case.

OR, if your Samsung has Anynet on all ports, maybe the port to which your :apple:TV is connected is funky and it will work fine in a different port.

One more idea: swap HDMI cables just to rule out some kind of cable issue.

I'm sure lots of us have Samsung TVs and 4th gen :apple:TVs. I can't recall ever seeing a post with your problem. So I suspect something is broken in your setup. Potential culprits: 1) TV, 2) TV HDMI Jack, 3) HDMI cable, 4) :apple:TV. You can rule out #2 & #3 by simple swapping and retesting. If #1 has worked fine for years and/or if other Anynet hookups works just fine, I strongly suspect #4. On the other hand, if :apple:TV is the only thing with which you've tried using Anynet, it could be #1. If you have another :apple:TV 4th gen or could borrow one from a friend, it would be easy to pin it down to either #1 or #4.

If you happen to have a receiver in the chain from :apple:TV to Samsung Anynet HDMI port, test a direct connection to rule out the receiver or the extra HDMI cable in that kind of hookup.

Basically, use some step-by-step tests to pin down where the problem is. I strongly suspect it's either TV or :apple:TV based on what you've shared. But a borrowed :apple:TV and a direct connection if applicable could pin it down to a single thing.