Samsung TV + Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Mac-Addict, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Huh?

I think you'll find that it IS a widescreen TV and HD capable so Apple TV should wokrk fine.

3. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

As Max pointed out, the LCD you listed *is* a widescreen. Actually, I don't really think you can even find a non-widescreen LCD TV?

.....and yes, :apple: TV will work great on it. I have the 40" Samsung LCD and it works marvelous!

4. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I know, I am posted it here because the specs on curry's website says it hasn't got a widescreen option.. Heh I dont know much about tvs..

5. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

6. RichyHo macrumors member

RichyHo

Please could someone tell me what the difference is between this and an LE32R87BD? I was set on getting an 87 and now I hear there's an 88??

Thanks

7. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Sadly many of the affordable LCD screens out there are still designed for a 4:3 picture and can only emulate widescreen by adding black bars.

8. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i bought the same in a 40" version, and trust me apple tv looks great, just turn the hdmi brightness down to low or you will see ghosting

9. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Um, no it is when they are given a 4:3 signal that they add bars, and every widescreen tv does that, including the high end ones. Many consumers think that by selecting "Stretch" as an option, then that makes it a 16:9 signal. It just stretches. And, again, a widescreen tv emulates 4:3 by adding bars, because that is how big the picture is. I am soo sick of telling people how HD tvs work... And, if it were designed for 4:3, then it would be a squareish type lcd, not wide like it is.

Stop confusing him!

10. zim macrumors 65816

zim

A 4:3 TV is not a widescreen TV, adding bars does not make it a widescreen TV. They do sell TVs that are 16:9 ratios, most all of which are now HD and will add bars to the side, emulating the 4:3 ratio. I have a 4:3 SDTV which can be put into widescreen 16:9 emulation, by adding bars, the manual, a sony, states that it is not a widescreen TV but has the ability to emulate it. Also, not all LCD TVs are HD, you did not specify HD in your description.

I apologize if I confused the original poster but I just found that your statement wasn't true. The original poster should make sure that the TV specifies the settings that they want.

11. Mac-Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/tftlcd/index.asp scroll down and you will see R88 series and R87 series, the diffrence is a nicer looking on button.

12. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Whatever, I think that there is too much data and to much confusion about this topic, and I don't want this to turn into flaming, so whatever, let's leave it at that