Samsung TV - loses the Apple TV and flickers

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Pitsy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Pitsy macrumors member

Good afternoon.

Has anyone else has an issue with the Apple TV on a samsung 50" Plasma.

Everytime I turn it on and goto my Apple Tv to watch anything, I have to unplug the HDMI otherwise the TV loops on scanning for signal, briefly flashes the Apple TV and then scans again

I unplug the HDMI and then plug it back in after 30 seconds and all is fine, until I turn the tv on and off!!!

Its driving me ad and annoys the hell out of me.....

I love my Apple TV, but this is frustrating as hell...

Pitsy

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Try a different brand HDMI cable.

Look at monoprice.com for good inexpensive HDMI cables.

3. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

I had all kinds of trouble with my HDMI. It'd work for awhile then all of a sudden start flickering green flashes. Tried various priced cables and finally switched to component. Not sure if it was the Sammy side (LCD) or ATV.

4. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I've had some success with this Samsung issue by simply unplugging the Samsung TV for a minute, then plugging it back in. I read somewhere that Samsung TVs have some noncompliance issues with HDMI in general.

5. roidy macrumors 6502a

I had exactly the same problem with my Samsung series 6 LCD the solution for me was very simple, one of the HDMI ports should also be a DVI port when I use that one it works perfectly but if I use any of the others I get the same problem.

6. AnthonyCM macrumors regular

I have the 750 series, and have the ATV connected through an Onkyo receiver. The television sometimes says, "Searching of Signal" for a moment or two, but then finds it.

However, there have been times when I've been listening to my music on the ATV through the receiver but with the television off. Many times when I do that when I turn the television on the screen is entirely messed up. To do a fix I have to unplug the ATV and restart it.

But since my ATV/Onkyo set-up is how I listen to music most of the time (I'd say it's on an average of four hours a day) I have little to complain about the ATV.

7. aidricksdad macrumors regular

aidricksdad

i got a 50 sammy plasma too and in a span of 15 seconds after i switch sources it finds it loses it and then finds it so all is well except all those 15 seconds of my life wasted away

8. minik macrumors 65816

That doesn't sound appetizing. I am about to purchase a Samsung Series 8 TV and hook up to my Apple TV.

9. Bmode macrumors regular

It's not the Samsung Minik, it's ATV. You can always use a component connection which is pretty solid at 1080i, besides there's not that much content at true 1080P.

Question to the orig. poster. Do you have issues with component or is it just HDMI. I saw the work around for Samsung, but this is a issue for apple to make their HDMI handshake better, and apparently they have not.

I have a similar issue when using ATV through a Denon AVR-3808ci, it completely turns pink. We've tried several high quality HDMI cables, but no go, so we had to revert to component, and it's stable.

Apple, if you read these posts, fix your HDMI port and make it more HDMI 1.3A compliant.

10. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I think Samsung is the culprit here.. I have 3 samsung TV's and they all have trouble with HDMI.. At first we were told it was verizon FIOS that didn't play well with the samsung- but then we started experiencing it with the ATV on the samsung but not the other brands..

I have to pull the plug & reboot when this happens.. It's never a problem with the composite cables, but at least with the FIOS, there's a pretty big difference in terms of quality with the picture and a VERY BIG difference in sound quality between HDMI & composite..

11. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

I had the same setup (samsung 50" and AppleTV - Direct HDMI connection to the Samsung/optical out to a Bose receiver) and had the same problem. There is a service menu you can go into and change a setting, but all I had to do was move the HDMI cable to HDMI 2 (which is the HDMI/DVI hook-up) and was also told to change the HDMI menu label to "PC". Supposedly, this combination forces the resolution output of the sending device and the expected input to the TV to 720p. From what I've been told, the problem is the Samsung and the AppleTV don't do the HDMI 'handshake' very well, and this solves that problem. Worked for me. My wife and I are now amazed by the speed with which the AppleTV fires up.

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have the Samsung 32" LNS3251D, and I also have issues with HDMI and the Apple TV.

Most of the time the signal is fine after the TV searches for it. Like above, this usually takes up to 15 seconds or so.

Just tried the HDMI 2 and PC label suggestion, but I can't really tell a difference.

13. roidy macrumors 6502a

I have a PS3, Xbox 360, Cable TV box and AppleTV all hooked up to my Samsung Series 6 and the only one I ever had HDMI trouble with was the AppleTV so I don`t think its a Samsung problem.

14. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I just tried it with my LN52A650 and it worked great. I already had the AppleTV connected to HDMI-2. I just changed the label to PC and I no longer get 10 seconds of "Searching for signal" on my screen. Amazing.

15. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Samsung told me they have issues with HDMI.. they only told me this AFTER they told me FIOS had an issue with samsung.. I was fighting for significant credit from verizon- because I was told it was their fault & NOT Samsungs.. When push came to shove, and I started really pushing for money, Samsung admitted they have some issues with certain HDMI connections and that they would be issuing a major software update very soon.. I was told the update would come in August- I don't believe it ever came since I still have the same issues..

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Samsungs- but HDMI is relatively new and they admitted to me that they were having some fairly widespread issues with it..I'm still glad I bought Samsung over the other brands, and I work thru the HDMI snafus because I believe that they are the best out there and that this HDMI thing is temporary..

16. roidy macrumors 6502a

It`s just strange that out of all the HDMI devices I`ve used with my series 6 it`s only the AppleTV that caused me problems. But if Samsung says it`s a problem there end then it must be. I just dont see why no other device I own has the same problem.

17. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's weird, but not unrealistic.. The way they described it is they have "some problems with certain HDMI connections".. I'm not sure why they worded it that way, or what it means exactly, but they only offered this information AFTER months of haggling & Verizon FIOS stepping in.. FIOS didn't want to give me any credit for something that they feel isn't their fault..

I don't have the other things you mentioned, all I have is a DVD player, ATV & Fios hooked up to it.. The DVD player is rarely a problem- maybe once or twice- and the ATV really isn't too bad considering the usage it gets.. The cable is by far the area with the most trouble..

Honestly though, the Samsung LCD TV's are a great product.. This is really minor, and almost to be expected with something that's evolving like HDMI is.. HDMI has other problems, so it's not unique to samsung.. Samsung is working to get their software more compatible with this technology

18. roidy macrumors 6502a

I completely agree with you, my Samsung is the best LCD tv I`ve had and I love it. As long as I connect the AppleTV to the HDMI-2 which is also the DVI port it works fine, connect it to any of the others and all I get is searching for signal for a few seconds and then the AppleTV picture for a few seconds and then back to searching for a signal over and over again.......

I can connect my Xbox, PS3 or Cable box to any HDMI port and they all work fine, it`s just the AppleTV. But like I said I just leave it in HDMI-2 and it works everytime so it`s no problem for me.

19. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

I know this is an old thread but I have a issue also with an Apple TV and a Samsung tv it's intermittent but if I leave the TV on the HDMI channel that the aTV is on and switch the TV off then switched back on all I get is white noise. The only way to resolve the issue is then unplug the aTv from the Samsung and plug it in again. Didn't have the issue with my older 2008 series 6 tv but my new Samsung UE55ES8000 has this issue.

20. cynics macrumors G3

Samsung TV - loses the Apple TV and flickers

I had a similar problem (flashing and flickers) on my Samsung Series 6. But the problem extended further with unresponsive UI between flickers or after I unplugged and replugged the ATV in.

Took the ATV to Apple and they could replicate it and it wouldn't restore.

They replaced it for me.

Since then using the new ATV on the same HDMI cable with the same Samsung Series 6 it's been completely flawless. Not even up hiccup.

Edit : crap!! Didn't look at the dates! Sorry!