Samsung U28D590D + mid 2014 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by diggy33, Mar 1, 2015.

1. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

Okay, so I've got this monitor at home, and can not get it to work with my mid 2014 15-inch rMBP with dual graphics. I have tried it connected to both the OWC Thunderbolt 2 station, and the Caldigit Thunderbolt 2 station and get the same result - black screen on both the laptop and the Samsung, and have to hard shut down the machine. The only way I was able to get the Samsung recognized was connecting it directly to the HDMI port on the Mac, and using gfxCardStatus set to Dedicated graphics only.

Funny thing is, the monitor works absolutely fine with my 13" rMBP, from both Thunderbolt 2 docks.

Any thoughts on what next step I can take to troubleshoot?

2. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

Have you tried direct mini-displayport to DP from the 2014 MacBook to the monitor? That should surely work. This will eliminate issues with the TB hubs.

3. diggy33 thread starter macrumors 6502

diggy33

It works with DP to mini DP on the Mac as well. I put my Monoprice monitor back and connect to the TB dock, and it works just fine. When I bring it in to the office, I connect to a Dell U2713HM monitor with OWC TB 2 dock, and it works just fine.

Its not the ideal solution that I wanted (less cables is better) but I suppose it will have to do. Seems that the monitor just doesnt like being connected to a docking station with the 15" rMBP.

4. Jeffaevents macrumors newbie

my 2015 mac book pro 15 inch retina is pushing dual 4k monitors (samsung u28d590d) at 3140 x 2160 @ 60 hz and man it looks awesome! Actually it's so good that I scaled it back down to 1440 just to fit LESS on the screen!

I spent a lot of time playing around with different configurations and here is how I got it to work.

First, I tried to hook up these monitors using a mini display port to hdmi cable. I quickly learned that the quality was there in terms of image but it could only run at 30hz. As anyone who got to this point realizes- the mouse is jumpy, games suck, and it is generally annoying.

Using the straight hdmi cable is worse and you can only hook up one monitor.

But then- JACKPOT! I came upon a mini display port to display port adapter! That is your ticket!! Get yourself two of those suckers and then use the display port cable into the back of the Samsung and Yahtzee!!

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

Any difference between the two Thunderbolt ports on the rMBP 15" or between the two on the docks when connecting through them?