Samsung U28D590D with a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 17"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RobertD33, Aug 14, 2014.

1. RobertD33 macrumors member

I have a mid 2009 unibody MacBook Pro 17". It has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics card. According to Apple, I am able to output a max resolution of 2560 x 1600. I plan on using a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cord to connect my MBP to the 4K Samsung Monitor. My question is, will I be able to use the 4K monitor at the 2560 x 1600 resolution with my old MBP? Or, are my graphics cards not compatible with the monitor at all since they can't output 4K?

I am waiting for the Broadwell MacBook Pro refresh before upgrading my current MBP. With this being the case, I'm wondering whether I would be able to use the Samsung 4K monitor with my current MBP? Once the new MBPs are released I would get one and would continue to use the 4K monitor, but with it instead. This way I avoid buying a monitor specifically for my current MBP and then a 4K monitor once the new MBPs are released.

2. bootz macrumors member

Does your MBP have multiple display outputs? If so, here is a good discussion on how some with older devices are using multiple inputs on this monitor to get 4K 60hz...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1735590&highlight=u28d590d

3. RobertD33 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately my MacBook Pro only has a Mini DisplayPort connection. I don't have a HDMI port in addition to the Mini DisplayPort. I've read some reviews on amazon where individuals with older Macbook Pros were unable to get the monitor to work (black screen--with the 9400M graphics card, to be specific). Since my MacBook Pro also has the 9600M GT card in it, along with the 9400M, I was hoping someone on here, with the same graphics card, has had positive results.

4. RobertD33 thread starter macrumors member

Update: I went ahead and purchased the monitor. Using a StarTech miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort, I was able to run the monitor at 2560 x 1440 with both the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT. In order to get it to work you have to set the DisplayPort version to 1.1 in the monitor setting (since it is an older MBP, but 1.2 is supported on newer macs (tested)). Also, I found that the picture did not fill the entire monitor unless I went into "clamshell mode". This is just for anyone that might stumble upon this thread and is wondering the same thing before purchasing the UD590 (U28D590D).

5. Easyone macrumors newbie

Hello,

Thanks for the update of the topic I started last month. I'm trying to do as you advice but I can't find a way to change the DisplayPort version in the monitor settings. Can you describe the whole process?

Thanks.

6. RobertD33 thread starter macrumors member

On the U28D590D, the button that you use to navigate the menu is on the lower back of the monitor on the right side.

Step 1: Press the button on the back of the monitor and this should show up on the bottom right corner of your screen:
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Use the button to go up and click on the icon that looks like a gate. You can see the icon in the previous picture.

After doing that, this will appear on your screen:
    [​IMG]

Step 3: Go down to Settings and click the button.

Step 4: Now you should see "DisplayPort Ver.". Go down to it and click on it. This will give you the option to choose between 1.1 and 1.2. For your mac you should choose 1.1.

7. Easyone macrumors newbie

That's what I did, but there is no DisplayPort menu, and I didn't find any firmware update on Samsung's website.

[​IMG]

I checked on the back of the screen, it's a U28D590D model.

8. RobertD33 thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried scrolling down within the settings menu to see if there is a second page? I know that if I go into the settings and scroll down that there is a second page.

9. Easyone macrumors newbie

No, there is not a second page. There are two pages in the "Picture" menu, not in "Settings".

There is a small arrow on the bottom of the first page, notice that this arrow is absent on the settings menu:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. RobertD33 thread starter macrumors member

Have you tried contacting samsung about it? I also checked and could not see an option to update the firmware. If samsung can't help you, I don't know where you bought the monitor from, you could try returning the monitor and buying it again. The new one you buy should have the updated firmware.

11. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

What does setting it to 1.1 instead of 1.2 do? Does Mac OS X recognize it better or did the monitor not display anything when it was 1.2?

12. RobertD33 thread starter macrumors member

Being that my Macbook Pro is older, it does not recognize the 1.2 standard. I'm assuming it has to do with the 1.2 signal being different than the 1.1 signal. When it is set to 1.2, the screen is blank (black). When I set it to 1.1, I can see my desktop. I've hooked up a 2013 retina MBP to it and both 1.1 and 1.2 work with.

13. wwohl macrumors regular

If you wind up not getting it working, there are some alternatives in that monitor size with other resolutions... Acer has a nice one I believe,

Spend a lot of time in front of that panel before you get beyond your return period. That model uses a TN panel that was reviewed to have very distinct distortion vertically (poor angles)

14. RobertD33 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but this display has worked for me since day one. I personally don't mind that it uses a TN panel being that I don't game or edit.