Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pricier Samsung screen v cheaper LG screen

• Total voters

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Apple are apparently paying Samsung ~US$130 for their screens.

If Apple end up detaching from Samsung screens & go with LG, would you take a potential hit in screen quality if it meant a cheaper overall price of the iPhone?

Apple are brilliant with screen optimisation, so it's a no brainer for me, despite my resentment toward LG products.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
LG just confirmed a contract with Apple for 400,000 OLED panels by the end of this year as a secondary supplier, at a manufacturing base price at $90.00 per unit, as Samsung’s OLED panels start around $130.00, it’s a matter of competition for both manufacturers, however, Samsung still is the primary supplier for both the XS/Max.

Also, for those questioning LG’s OLED panel quality, LG’s sixth Gen OLED Panels recently passed Apples stringent quality tests, and if it Passes Apples tests (Color, calibration, ect) then I assume the consumer will have no idea of the differences between Which panel they have on their iPhone, rather it be Samsung or LG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralfi

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well I do prefer Samsung displays but look what happened last year when googled cheaped out and put LG displays on the Pixel 2 XL. They learnt their lesson and went with Samsung this year.

Reactions: Never mind

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Well I do prefer Samsung displays but look what happened last year when googled cheaped out and put LG displays on the Pixel 2 XL. They learnt their lesson and went with Samsung this year.
In this regard (screens), I trust Apple to make the right decision. Too much at stake when the main thing people look/interact with is being decided on.

Tech as always will improve & I think Apple were just waiting for LG to reach that level of reliable quality before jumping on board.

draa

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2008
Years ago Apple sold the MBA with either Samsung or LG panel. You can easily use terminal to find out whether your panel is from Samsung or LG and many, many people complained about the LG panels. Although they passed Apple’s tests. Just saying...

/edit: cheaper LG panel didn’t mean cheaper MBA in that specific case. ;)

Reactions: akash.nu

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
/edit: cheaper LG panel didn’t mean cheaper MBA in that specific case. ;)
Hmm....

Maybe i'm being too simplistic?

I was of the thought the screen was the main contributor to the iPhone's high asking prices of late.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hmm....

Maybe i'm being too simplistic?

I was of the thought the screen was the main contributor to the iPhone's high asking prices of late.

The Samsung OLED Panel is certainly a contributor to the net cost, but I’m also willing to believe there are other components, like the TrueDepth Camera, Face ID hardware, the stainless steel bands, all of those contribute to the overall cost as well.

Reactions: Ralfi

icewolf247

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
I love the optimism that cheaper components will mean cheaper iPhones. Apple will take more profit and charge what the market will pay.

Reactions: Five_Oh

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I love the optimism that
cheaper components will mean cheaper iPhones

Reference the bolded, that’s correct though. Look at iPhone SE for example, it excluded the latest technology like 3D Touch, larger displays, ect and yet it still was priced at $400. So it proves that there can be smart phones on the market that ‘Cheaper components do in fact mean cheaper iPhones’.

icewolf247

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Reference the bolded, that’s correct though. Look at iPhone SE for example, it excluded the latest technology like 3D Touch, larger displays, ect and yet it still was priced at $400. So it proves that there can be smart phones on the market that ‘Cheaper components do in fact mean cheaper iPhones’.
I agree with your point and to be fair I probably answered a different question. Apple will, I believe, not change the top end price no matter how cheap the components and the break down costs show this to be the case. Creating a "budget" phone is a different thing

Apple could clearly sell the XS and Max for a lot less than they do but I guess they are still sticking with the " reassuringly expensive"

Can't recall whose byline that was

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.