Samsung Verizon SCH-i760 as Tethered Modem using 10.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevincatch22, Feb 16, 2008.

1. kevincatch22 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any way to use the SCH-i760 as a tethered modem using Leopard? Although its not officially supported i can used my treo 700p as a tethered modem and was wondering if anyone was successfull with the samsung. thanks!

-KG

2. kevincatch22 thread starter macrumors newbie

has anyone had any luck tethering any verizon phones w/o VZW software..?

_KG

3. Mack1N macrumors newbie

i dont know if its the same for the i760...but i used to tether with my i730 using the usb cable..or wirelessly thru bluetooth with a program called btmodem. no vzw programs needed. hope that helps.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Although I don't have verizon nor the same phone. It's possible to tether a phone pretty easily through bluetooth (much easier through bluetooth) and using an internet sharing option in the wm6 software on the phone.

Real easy to do, no extra software needed on the Mac nor on the Phone.

5. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

6. esialb macrumors newbie

I found a way to do it using bluetooth. I have instructions on my blog. I hope this post doesn't get duplicated; something seems to have gone wonky with posting this reply. Here's the link: http://www.robinkirkman.com/2008/03/10/how-to-use-your-sch-i760-as-a-modem-with-mac-osx/

7. haye321 macrumors newbie

Does this come off of your alloted minutes per month or data usage?

8. jeffdmac macrumors newbie

yes you can!!!

The first thing you have to do is set your phone to act as a tether. To do this:

1. Go to START-SETTINGS-SYSTEM-DATA CONNECTION.

2. Choose the second option, which is"As the modem through USB."

3. Connect the cable from your phone to the Mac.

4. Once connected, your phone will recognize that its connected. This can be confirmed when you click on the phone receiver icon then choose "network preferences." You should see Samsung listed there.

5. click on the Samsung option and enter the following:
    For Telephone Number enter #777
    For Account Name enter your phone number@vzw3g.com (xxxxxxxxxx@vzw3g.com)
    For Password enter vzw

When you now click on the phone icon, you will see the option "Connect SAMSUNG CDMA Technologies"

you should now be connected.

Keep in mind, this is if you have a Verizon wireless account. Also, I pay the additional charge for tethering. If you want to try it, Verizon will give you a free month of tethering. It is a little pricey. $45 for unlimited internet and an additional $15 for tethering. There rational is that, if you're tethering, you are accessing as much bandwidth as the USB access that they sell for $60 a month.

Good luck.