Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mushy peas

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
How janky would you say they are in your experience?
Sorry for the slow reply.

It’s hard to say because I can’t compare them directly, but the software brightness controls make the screen look slightly greyer and desaturated I think.

Reactions: Ener Ji

maccity

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2023
Hello everybody!
I am considering buying the Samsung 5K display. Does it wake up instantly when you hit spacebar/touchID on your Mac (like the ASD does)? I have a Dell P3421W and it takes 2-3 seconds to wake up from sleep mode from the moment I press the spacebar/touchID on my M1 Mac Mini...

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Please keep us informed, OP, about how you like the Samsung after you get it.

There were tons of discussion about the Samsung during the announcement phase but almost nothing since it is actually available.

Reactions: Ener Ji

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Please keep us informed, OP, about how you like the Samsung after you get it.

There were tons of discussion about the Samsung during the announcement phase but almost nothing since it is actually available.
Agreed. Interested to learn more. And why you chose it vs. the ASD.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Has anybody been able to get it working correctly on an intel MBP?

When connected to my i9 2019 16” MacBook Pro it’s displaying at 30hz with bad text rendering and huge input lag. Bettermonitor reports that it’s running at 60hz with native res, but there’s no way that’s true. I had to turn HDR off to get the monitor to display an image at all.

When connecting an M1 Max MBP everything is working correctly out of the box.

Ork

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010

When connected to my i9 2019 16” MacBook Pro it’s displaying at 30hz with bad text rendering and huge input lag. Bettermonitor reports that it’s running at 60hz with native res, but there’s no way that’s true. I had to turn HDR off to get the monitor to display an image at all.

I don't have the Samsung S9 but I was thinking of buying it.

Have you tried connecting your 2019 MBP to the monitor with the Mini DisplayPort input?

I think the reason it won't work is because the Samsung monitor uses TB4 and your Intel mac has TB3. (Not sure though).

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I don't have the Samsung S9 but I was thinking of buying it.

Have you tried connecting your 2019 MBP to the monitor with the Mini DisplayPort input?

I think the reason it won't work is because the Samsung monitor uses TB4 and your Intel mac has TB3. (Not sure though).
I tried, it doesn't work using a USB-C-> DP 1.4 adapter with the included DP -> DP Mini cable.

Ork

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Strange. I would have thought that would work...Maybe your laptop isn't powerful enough to drive 5k 60hz or maybe MacOS has a built in Displayport limitation so they force you to buy the Thunderbolt equipped Studio Display or LG Ultrafine 5k.

For the bad text rendering, have you read this ? : https://notsidney.medium.com/samsun...itor-if-it-had-reliable-software-2fed3667cc8d

Apparently it needs calibrating or turning off HDR and switching to the ECO setting to fix bad text rendering.

As for the input lag issue, I have no clue. Try to see if there is a game mode option in the monitor and see if that makes any difference.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Strange. I would have thought that would work...Maybe your laptop isn't powerful enough to drive 5k 60hz or maybe MacOS has a built in Displayport limitation so they force you to buy the Thunderbolt equipped Studio Display or LG Ultrafine 5k.

For the bad text rendering, have you read this ? : https://notsidney.medium.com/samsun...itor-if-it-had-reliable-software-2fed3667cc8d

Apparently it needs calibrating or turning off HDR and switching to the ECO setting to fix bad text rendering.

As for the input lag issue, I have no clue. Try to see if there is a game mode option in the monitor and see if that makes any difference.
1. It’s a 2019 16” MBP i9 w/dgpu. It should handle multiple 5K displays just fine.

2. The ViewFinity S9 is a thunderbolt monitor. It’s worth noting that there’s no real difference between TB3 and TB4: TB4 is simply making a bunch of things that were optional in TB3 mandatory.

3. As mentioned, the monitor is working with my M1 Max MBP fine.

Fwiw, my Intel MBP is stuck on Monterey due to work IT. It’s possible the DP DSC fixes that Apple implemented in Sonoma would fix this issue. Going to try to convince IT to allow me to upgrade, I’ll post an update if it resolves.

Also considering getting a displaylink adapter and just calling it a day.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Thinking about getting one of these and doing some prelim research,

For those who have it and use it, does it look ok with brightness set down to a reasonable level. Reasonable level is different for different people, but Im usually hovering around 100-115cd/m2 on my monitor. I know some newer montiors are only usable at high brightness, so wanted to see if anyone has experience on this front

thanks!

Reactions: picpicmac

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Update: DisplayLink adapter didn't work. Unless I missed something, DisplayLink adapters only support 5k via dual-DP connections. The S9 does not support dual-DP input.

Trying to get the laptop updated to Sonoma, I'll update again if anything changes.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I did buy one of these. Pretty good monitor. For anyone wondering about the brightness I mentioned up above. You can easily set the brightness down and it’s fine.

Reactions: picpicmac

Selous13

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2024
I did buy one of these. Pretty good monitor. For anyone wondering about the brightness I mentioned up above. You can easily set the brightness down and it’s fine.
Hi there. I just unboxed mine and I'm facing weird issues: MBPro M1 is only detected using the last TB4 port (the one that is the furthest from the power cable). USB-C flash drives are detected on all ports (!).
Do all your ports detect your laptop?

Another problem I’m facing with a OWC 11-Port Thunderbolt Dock:

When I connect the MacBook directly to the new monitor, everything is ok… well, considering the point above. (I tried multiple cables to validate).

When I connect the OWC 11-Port Thunderbolt Dock to the S9 monitor, power passthrough and ethernet work… but MacBook is not detected anymore. I tried different sequences for cabling, switching on/off, etc… Nothing works.

I contacted Samsung support… it’s a joke! I’m waiting for OWC response… but any clue?

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015

I am having a perhaps similar issue with this monitor (Samsung 27" Viewfinity S9). When connecting my 2018 Intel Mac Mini over a USB-C → Mini DisplayPort cable (third-party cable not included with the monitor), I did only get 30 Hz unless running at 1920x1080 where it could do 60 Hz. However, using the same USB → Mini DisplayPort cable with a M2 MacBook Pro allows me to use 60 Hz at 4K or perhaps even 5K (I don't recall the max resolution at the moment unfortunately).

My thread on this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ini-displayport-monitor-with-4k-60-hz.2419519

I was assuming that the problem is the cable itself, or the Mini DisplayPort implementation on the 2018 Mac Mini, but it is curious because I can use an LG 32" 4K monitor at 4K60 Hz over DisplayPort with the Mac Mini.

So perhaps there is actually an issue with Intel Macs? I will test my 2018 Intel Mac Mini with the Thunderbolt 4 cable included with the Samsung 27" monitor and report back (this weekend) in order to understand if I have the same issue on Thunderbolt 4 as I do with USB-C → Mini DisplayPort.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015

Reporting back on my previous post:

I tried connecting the display to an 2018 Mac Mini over the Thunderbolt 4 cable. I am only getting 30 Hz for 4K/5K, and again, only at 1920x1080 will it display 60 Hz. As I mentioned, I thought this was due to the third-party USB-C → DisplayPort Cable I tried using initially, but I'm having this issue with the original cable supplied with the display.

It seems unfortunately like some or all Intel Macs are practically not really supported at 60 Hz (only 30 Hz) with Samsung 27" Viewfinity S9 at the moment, unless there is a firmware or software fix. Of course, I cannot confirm that this afflicts all users, but this is worrisome.

I can also confirm that, per the blog post below, it seems like, there is artificial sharpening applied per default on the display (Sharpness setting 10, instead of 0). When Sharpening is set to 0, text becomes blurry. So unless "10" actually means "No Sharpening" and "0" means "Blur the screen", it seems like this display is not doing a good job at rendering text in MacOS.

https://notsidney.medium.com/samsun...itor-if-it-had-reliable-software-2fed3667cc8d

Additionally, I am now getting coil whine from the Thunderbolt 4 cable/display when they are connected. Another issue is that my Mac Studio keeps crashing intermittently when it goes to sleep while the display is connected, causing a kernel panic (this issue is related to the Mac itself, and not the display per se), requiring me to disable sleep mode on the Mac.

I was not intending to use the Samsung 27" Viewfinity S9 as my main display, but all in all I am reconsidering my purchase. If you are serious about getting this as your main display, it is probably better to choose Apple Studio Display instead. The Viewfinity is looking more like a dud product. The included "Smart TV" functions are just annoying to be frank and the privacy settings implies that users are being tracked for advertising data. The power brick is ridicilously large.

The only redeeming quality I can think of right now, is the cheaper price than the Apple Studio Display, that there is an extra Mini DisplayPort, and that the stand can be pivoted. A word of warning though, the pivoting isn't very smooth at all, and the display sinks in height when performing the pivoting, and a cable was even disconnected at one point. I also find the stand kind of wobbly.

Last edited:

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Update: Was able to update my 2019 Intel MacBook Pro 16” to Sonoma. The ViewFinity S9 is now working correctly at 5K @ 60Hz.

I guess this confirms there was a bug in macOS, likely related to DisplayPort HBR 2 or DSC.

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Update: Was able to update my 2019 Intel MacBook Pro 16” to Sonoma. The ViewFinity S9 is now working correctly at 5K @ 60Hz.

I guess this confirms there was a bug in macOS, likely related to DisplayPort HBR 2 or DSC.

Did you use a version of MacOS other than Sonoma previously?

I had this issue on Sonoma, but it's possible that it's fixed as of MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1, which I believe was supposed to fix some issues relating to peripheral devices such as USB hubs and the like, and perhaps also displays. I have not tested the ViewFinity S9 with my Intel Mac Mini yet, so I can't confirm on my end currently.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Did you use a version of MacOS other than Sonoma previously?

I had this issue on Sonoma, but it's possible that it's fixed as of MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1, which I believe was supposed to fix some issues relating to peripheral devices such as USB hubs and the like, and perhaps also displays. I have not tested the ViewFinity S9 with my Intel Mac Mini yet, so I can't confirm on my end currently.
I was stuck on Monterey on my work managed MBP.

klemsaba

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
My monitor just stopped working this morning over Thunderbolt. Tried different cables, Thunderbolt ports, direct to MacBook instead of CalDigit dock, nothing works. Display Port is fine.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My monitor just stopped working this morning over Thunderbolt. Tried different cables, Thunderbolt ports, direct to MacBook instead of CalDigit dock, nothing works. Display Port is fine.
That sucks. Can you borrow a friend's MacBook to make sure it's not your machine's TB port?

klemsaba

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Yes, I've tried my wife's MacBook Pro and my daughter's ASUS laptop as well. Figured one of those would have worked. The laptops connect because the monitor charges those devices. Just no video signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.