Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upg...I=#TimeFormat(Now(),+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

I've been looking at the 1GB ram modules available at OWC. They list three models ranging in price from $179.99 to $229.99 (for the Samsung). From the specs I can not identify and differences between any of these modules besides the fact that the most expensive samsung one is also used by apple. What's the difference. I can't imagine there are too many companies in the world with the technology to produce chips like this. So most of these things must come from the same manufacturers right? :confused:

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I bought the OWC memory for my PB (2 GBs) and have not had any problems. Since it had a lifetime warranty, I figured it was good enough. It is suppose to meet or exceed the quality of Samsung memory. I have been very satisfied with the 2 GB upgrade as it seems to really perform like a desktop now. I only wish I had more than 80 GBs of internal disk space. Perhaps 250 Gbs of internal drive space.

I looked at Powermac G5 memory and I am tempted to ugprade to the full 8 GBs once they go under $1,000 bucks from OWC. It is getting closer to that figure now. I decided to gradually max out my G5 with the fastest video card, hard drive capacity, memory, largest monitor, and DVD burner speeds rather than replace it when the new G5's hit the streets this summer. Taking advantage of the upgradability feature to the max for a longer product life. It is like getting a brand new Mac every 6 months.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
BornAgainMac said:
I bought the OWC memory for my PB (2 GBs) and have not had any problems. Since it had a lifetime warranty, I figured it was good enough. It is suppose to meet or exceed the quality of Samsung memory. I have been very satisfied with the 2 GB upgrade as it seems to really perform like a desktop now. I only wish I had more than 80 GBs of internal disk space. Perhaps 250 Gbs of internal drive space.

I looked at Powermac G5 memory and I am tempted to ugprade to the full 8 GBs once they go under $1,000 bucks from OWC. It is getting closer to that figure now. I decided to gradually max out my G5 with the fastest video card, hard drive capacity, memory, largest monitor, and DVD burner speeds rather than replace it when the new G5's hit the streets this summer. Taking advantage of the upgradability feature to the max for a longer product life. It is like getting a brand new Mac every 6 months.

Just out of interest: which ram did you actually buy? the cheapest one or the slightly more expensive one?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mfacey, what Powerbook are you looking to install the 1 Gb in? The PC2700 DDR SODIMMs are not the right RAM for the TiBook in your Sig.

The Aluminum PowerBook 15" 1.0 and 1.25, and the 17" 1.33 are more finicky about RAM than the later models. For these machines I recommend sticking to the Samsung.

Whichever RAM you choose, get a compatibility guarantee from the vendor that it is compatible with your specific model, that there will be no restocking charge and that the return shipping will be paid by the vendor if it is not.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
CanadaRAM said:
mfacey, what Powerbook are you looking to install the 1 Gb in? The PC2700 DDR SODIMMs are not the right RAM for the TiBook in your Sig.

The Aluminum PowerBook 15" 1.0 and 1.25, and the 17" 1.33 are more finicky about RAM than the later models. For these machines I recommend sticking to the Samsung.

Whichever RAM you choose, get a compatibility guarantee from the vendor that it is compatible with your specific model, that there will be no restocking charge and that the return shipping will be paid by the vendor if it is not.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

I'm hoping on getting a new Powerbook soon. 1.67Ghz, either a 15 or 17.

I'm assuming by the fact that OWC advises these modules for the Powerbook that they are indeed compatible? right?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mfacey said:
I'm hoping on getting a new Powerbook soon. 1.67Ghz, either a 15 or 17.

I'm assuming by the fact that OWC advises these modules for the Powerbook that they are indeed compatible? right?

Yes, they should be. Before buying, do a search of these and other forums for OWC and check the opinions. Personally, I prefer Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp?C=1169

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
mfacey said:
I can't imagine there are too many companies in the world with the technology to produce chips like this. So most of these things must come from the same manufacturers right? :confused:

Firstly, I have OWC RAM in my 12" PB, and its fine. I'm not one of those Mac nerds who can actually tell the difference between 2 different sticks of RAM unless it's obvious (ie: my computer panics often with a particular stick of RAM installed), but I have had no problems.

Don't worry about Samsung vs OWC unless you can actually tell speed differences between 2 different sticks of RAM. They're both under great warranties.

Secondly, as Samsung is the largest RAM manufacturer in the world (I believe someone told me that), they probably make a lot of RAM for other companies that later re-brand it as their own. So maybe OWC RAM is actually produced by Samsung, but re-branded.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Abstract said:
Secondly, as Samsung is the largest RAM manufacturer in the world (I believe someone told me that), they probably make a lot of RAM for other companies that later re-brand it as their own. So maybe OWC RAM is actually produced by Samsung, but re-branded.
No, OWC (and other vendors) sell more than one brand, and generally advertise and charge more for the Samsung - the Samsung was offered on the same OWC page at $229 compared to the unbranded RAM at 197 something.

eleveneastgate

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
OWC RAM

I purchased a 1G of RAM for my 12" PB 1.33 MHz from OWC about a month ago, and hav'nt had any problems. :D

I purchased it when it was $238, I believe they go for $198, now.

OWC2700DDRS1GBA

1GB (1024MB) PC2700 DDR SODIMM 200 Pin Memory Module 128x64 CL 2.5 for all PowerBook G4 'Aluminum' 12-, 15- & 17- Models, all iBook G4s, iMac G4 1.0GHz+. Tested & Guaranteed! New, Lifetime Advance Replacement Warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.