Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yup.. been following it. Awaiting on AT&T to push the update; however, off topic...I recently picked up this portable monitor for Samsung DeX. Been looking for a monitor to use when away from the desk... imo, I think DeX needs more users to incentives Samsung to take it more serious.

Not that Samsung doesn't care about DeX users, but I think it finds itself in a middle of not trying to make it feature-rich where it takes away from laptop/desktop sales. It's similar to iPadOS and macOS debate whereas Apple doesn't want to disrupt mac sales by adding mac features to iPadOS (external monitor support, window management, simultaneously audio streams, final cut & logic apps, etc).

yeah I think Samsung are realising it doesn't make perfect sense to put too much into it for those reasons.

it's why I don't think we will see massive software improvements on the iPad. I mean I now have a MacBook Pro due to needing it for the tasks I need to go with my iPad. all part of apple's plan. I think Samsung are thinking lets not make it too good with dex

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
yeah I think Samsung are realising it doesn't make perfect sense to put too much into it for those reasons.

it's why I don't think we will see massive software improvements on the iPad. I mean I now have a MacBook Pro due to needing it for the tasks I need to go with my iPad. all part of apple's plan. I think Samsung are thinking lets not make it too good with dex
I think it’s inevitable that the iPad and Mac will converge at some point. One will end up killing the other, but I think MacBooks will take the hit... since both iPads and MacBook share portability characteristics. However, I think that’s perhaps decades away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.