Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Temper tantrum....lol

If you read the articles, they say not to be turned on or used, in the Pakistan Airlines case it extends to carry on luggage but doesn't ban the device at all, can't see where it says not to put it in checked luggage, can you?
The titles of the articles you posted may say "banned on such and such an airline" but the body of text following says they must be turned off and not charged.
The title should say "banned from use or charging ".

Did you read the articles or did you cherry pick a title that fits your argument?

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
Temper tantrum....lol

If you read the articles, they say not to be turned on or used, in the Pakistan Airlines case it extends to carry on luggage but doesn't ban the device at all, can't see where it says not to put it in checked luggage, can you?
The titles of the articles you posted may say "banned on such and such an airline" but the body of text following says they must be turned off and not charged.
The title should say "banned from use or charging ".

Did you read the articles or did you cherry pick a title that fits your argument?

Cherry picking? I copy and pasted the title verbatim, didnt write the article.
ccb7848c39d8c25f5912a637401afa3f.jpg

Carry on luggage? It in the cabin.

8788f70ee790cf5a771c1789f7894a18.jpg

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Well good on them, can't say they're making a bad decision.
But you still posted an article yesterday claiming the same, but it wasn't true.
It has now been updated to include checked luggage.

The next time you post a provocative (don't pretend you dont know what I mean) title, read it first.
There's no point posting articles that insist on something that's simply not true.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
Can't see where it say not to put in checked luggage...

"In view of recent reports about Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices, and the international warnings to airline passengers not to carry this smartphone during flights, PIA passengers are also strongly advised not to carry it, not even in their check-in luggage, as it may compromise aircraft and passenger safety," PIA Spokesman Daniyal Gilani said in a statement issued here.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/m.econ...es/amp_articleshow/54282445.cms?client=safari

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I read the article yesterday, I also saw the updated 15 minutes ago 7 minutes ago, nice.
What amuses me is they are still saying not to charge or use them on board.
How would that even be possible if there were really a total ban? Is it even enforced?
Strongly advises passengers not to carry the Note 7
Think about it.

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
I read the article yesterday, I also saw the updated 15 minutes ago 7 minutes ago, nice.
What amuses me is they are still saying not to charge or use them on board.
How would that even be possible if there wereally a total ban?
Strongly advises passengers not to carry the Note 7
Think about it.

I don't have to think about it or speculate aimlessly.
You were wrong. Plain as day.

A galaxy note7 exploded while a little boy was using it.
It burned his hands. This mess is escalating very quickly.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
[doublepost=1473665406][/doublepost]
I don't have to think about it or speculate aimlessly.
You were wrong. Plain as day
I wasn't yesterday...
[doublepost=1473665571][/doublepost]
A galaxy note7 exploded while a little boy was using it.
It burned his hands. This mess is escalating very quickly.

Yeah. Not nice at all. The phone should have been handed back.
Who the hell hands a kid a phone that has been recalled for a fire risk?

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
As for being defensive, if correcting incorrect headlines is being defensive, then yes, I'm guilty.
You're guilty of not reading the articles you post or, as I suspect, you know exactly what you're posting but it fits your agenda, so a little disingenuous maybe?

Didn't appreciate this.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Not me. I haven't tried swinging this on Apple.

I'm all for a ban on flights.

But you are wrong. And you weren't subtle about it.

I didn't appreciate you calling me disingenuous or accusing me of not reading the articles I posted, pot kettle.

Yesterday the aritcle was different.
It was updated less than an hour ago.

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
Not me. I haven't tried swinging this on Apple.

I'm all for a ban on flights.

Yesterday the aritcle was different.
It was updated less than an hour ago.

So you weren't wrong the article was. Nice.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
No. The article had a misleading title.
It has been updated since then.....

Y'know what? Fine, you're right 100%

I'm done.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A theory is emerging for what could be the cause. Could it be that the device chassis is too small for the battery, especially during expansion when it's heated up.

A lab test has shown that the battery smokes and eventually catches on fire when pressure is applied.

Could it be that the battery expansion and lack of room inside the device is applying pressure onto the battery resulting in some of them smoking and eventually catching fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-7-burst-flames-pressure-applied-battery.html

This is only a theory, but could be a possibility.

If so; a solution could be a smaller lower capacity battery inside the device which would accommodate greater expansion and thereby not put any pressure on the battery.

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
A theory is emerging for what could be the cause. Could it be that the device chassis is too small for the battery, especially during expansion when it's heated up.

A lab test has shown that the battery smokes and eventually catches on fire when pressure is applied.

Could it be that the battery expansion and lack of room inside the device is applying pressure onto the battery resulting in some of them smoking and eventually catching fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-7-burst-flames-pressure-applied-battery.html

This is only a theory, but could be a possibility.

If so; a solution could be a smaller lower capacity battery inside the device which would accommodate greater expansion and thereby not put any pressure on the battery.

I suggested the same hypothesis yesterday--could it be that one the the most attractive elements, its compact design for such a large screen, is actually contributing to the phone's failure? Guess there could be a point where bezels are actually too small.

Reactions: MRU

virginiaplain0

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
This would make sense. Phones are getting thinner, and when the battery expands where can it go? This can happen to any smartphone, including the iPhone. Each year it keeps getting thinner.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I suggested the same hypothesis yesterday--could it be that one the the most attractive elements, its compact design for such a large screen, is actually contributing to the phone's failure? Guess there could be a point where bezels are actually too small.

No because I believe the fault will be the battery in some way of the fast charging system. Not the size of the device.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It is kind of getting out of hand. Now the Royal Mail the UK's main postal service have added a directive to ask what is being posted and to refuse Note 7 devices in packages.

If other couriers follow suit it will make even taking delivery of new handsets or simply returning device to Samsung extremely difficult.

Have to say whilst I understand where they are coming from as a safety of their employees perspective, it is still seems a bit too pre-emptive.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-7-uk-cant-ship-720507/

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
It is kind of getting out of hand. Now the Royal Mail the UK's main postal service have added a directive to ask what is being posted and to refuse Note 7 devices in packages.

If other couriers follow suit it will make even taking delivery of new handsets or simply returning device to Samsung extremely difficult.

Have to say whilst I understand where they are coming from as a safety of their employees perspective, it is still seems a bit too pre-emptive.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-7-uk-cant-ship-720507/

According to the article posted; Some of the post offices are refusing to accept any Samsung galaxy phones.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I read that in the US Samsung has applied for hazmat permits to safely ship recalled Note 7s in special transport containers back to where they need to go. I don't have the link handy since it's something I read in passing amidst chores. Anyway it may be an option for them to do this in other countries. I'm not sure what the laws are in the various European countries.

Anyway this is spiraling into a bigger mess than I could have foreseen in e early days of the recall.

I know there is no way I'll be able to take my N7 on my annual school hiking trip out west this year. I was really looking forward to using that incredible camera on some western vistas.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I read that in the US Samsung has applied for hazmat permits to safely ship recalled Note 7s in special transport containers back to where they need to go. I don't have the link handy since it's something I read in passing amidst chores. Anyway it may be an option for them to do this in other countries. I'm not sure what the laws are in the various European countries.

Anyway this is spiraling into a bigger mess than I could have foreseen in e early days of the recall.

I know there is no way I'll be able to take my N7 on my annual school hiking trip out west this year. I was really looking forward to using that incredible camera on some western vistas.

Link here http://www.sammobile.com/2016/10/06...rmit-to-ship-faulty-galaxy-note-7-units-back/

Reactions: FFR and 5105973

FFR

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
London
Note 7 is officially banned from airplanes.

Soon Samsung will have the devices replaced, removing the opportunity for the doomsayers to write more fear mongering posts.

In the meantime the sensationalists will continue to spread FUD. It's just who they are, and what they do. Some individuals thrive off stirring things up.

Remember anyone can "report an event" that doesn't mean that's what actually happened. News reports are often found to be lies. That's a well known fact.

Samsung is acting swiftly and responsibly.

Lol.

Reactions: C DM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.