Samsung's next Galaxy Note to have QuadHD display

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Konrad9, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Konrad9 macrumors 6502a

2. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

but will the performance suffer?
    that's the real question

3. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Really no surprise, and to me expected.

Other current new Android phones already have QHD Displays, and the Note series is always state of the art, packing the latest and greatest tech.

When the Note 4 is released this September, it will be the top hardware spec'd phone of 2014. Just hoping that is unlocked and can be rooted and have custom ROM's, unlike the current S5 and Note 3 :(

I miss the good old Samsung Note 2 days, awesome development on that beast.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How many pixels is enough pixels in a phone? Like gotluck said, what will the performance be like? Will it lag? What about the hit to battery life?

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

LG managed to get decent battery life with the G3 and there isn't much "lag"

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

No doubt will be the best phone on the market for me.

7. cnotes2019 Suspended

I don't know how much I will like it if it's curved...

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It won't be. The note series use a stylus. You can't write on a curved screen.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I've just read a review stating very much the opposite about the G3's battery life. Heat was also an issue they said as the power needed to run the LED backlight was tremendous owing to the density of the pixels that it would actually automatically dim the screen to 90% once it got warm - something that happened very regularly.

Arstechnica Review

10. Bishope1999 macrumors regular

The G3, with the S801 cpu hasn't really suffered in performance and battery life with it's QHD display. The Galaxy Note 4 will have the advantage of the S805 SoC, which was made with 4k in mind. Since the Note 4 will only display a 2.5K image, performance will improve over all current flagship phones.

The S805 has many improvements in the GPU to perfectly accommodate the QHD display and even better battery life. In the end, it will perform better and it will not be an issue.

But we're only a few months away before we can try it out ourselves :D

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

One question for me is whether or not the Note 4 will have a diamond subpixel arrangement. Despite a QHD display, I much prefer the RGB sub arrangement to the diamond.

12. gotluck, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

That's a very positive outlook :p
    Personally I'm wagering on problems similar to the rumored ones with the G3. There's always a trade off with new tech like this.

Kind of like the iPhone 4 which was amazing at launch, then was considered slower than a snail a couple years later. Or even look at the first 1080p or LTE android phones, they all had caveats. Gen A product buyers beware.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

14. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Waste of battery and processing power.

Not surprised Samsung would push for a useless gimmick just to have more numbers on the spec sheet.

Come on Samsung... only QHD? 8K or not buying.

15. Konrad9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you'll say the same thing if and when Apple ups the resolution on its devices.

16. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Yup I will, why assume he is an Apple fanboy?

17. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I think its just a popular comment and i assume it was more on the joke side :)

Anyway if Samsung includes a QuadHD display on the Note 4 its because would be able to handle it with no problem, they have a good record with the Note series.

18. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I'm gonna proclaim it to be the greatest thing ever!

19. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Looks like our friend above me fails to see the irony in his post.

Not you but the one literally above me.

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I agree with this, I'm not a troll either my daily phone is a Note 3. I'd rather see a thinner phone personally than a screen resolution which will be invisible to my eyes. I'm ecstatic already about how beautiful the N3 screen is, I doubt I'd be able to tell a difference on such a small screen.

I would put this up there with bent phones being touted as a feature, lol. No that's too harsh, increased resolution is still an improvement, I just don't know if an improvement is worth it if you can't get any appreciable benefits from it.

21. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

What Will a thinner iPhone do ? Like what benefits ? I'm using a iPhone 5s now and wow if its thinner I don't know how comfortable it will be to use.

22. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I thought we were talking about the Note 4? I think the Note 3 is still a decent amount thicker than what the Iphone 6 is rumored to be.

You're not wrong though, I just like the aesthetics of a thin phone but how useful thinness would be versus 4k resolution probably isn't much different. If I had to request a feature it would be a truly foldable phone, I'd take that over almost any other feature.

23. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

If it carries the Snapdragon 805 it shouldn't.

24. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Lol I think read your post wrong :D but I was a Note 3, fantastic phone and my only problem with the housing is the sharp edges of the USB port cut but that's probably because I'm used to place my pinky in that place.

25. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Hehe, no sharp edges here. I thought about getting a Nokia 1520, now THAT has sharp edges, it can double as a shuriken.