Samsung's Thunderbolt 3-Enabled Curved Monitor Launching in September for $900

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 28, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following an unveiling at CES in January, Samsung has announced the launch of the Thunderbolt 3-enabled CJ79 curved monitor, coming in September for $899.99. The 34-inch monitor is compatible with both Mac and PC computers, marking the first time that Thunderbolt 3 connectivity is available on a curved monitor.

[​IMG]

On the unit there are two Thunderbolt 3 ports that transmit display, data, and power at a processing speed of up to 40 Gbps to compatible docks, other displays, computers, external GPUs, and more. Thunderbolt 3 connectivity also allows Samsung's monitor to supply up to 85 watts of charging power to compatible MacBooks.

Thanks to the 3440x1440 ultra-wide curved display and a 21:9 aspect ratio, the CJ79 can also provide a dual monitor experience on one screen. Using a Picture-by-Picture feature, users can multitask by displaying two sources on screen at the same time, and even resize the second source to up to 25 percent of the screen, and position it anywhere.

[​IMG]

The CJ79 includes a height-adjustable stand and tilt functionality, ensuring a comfortable position while working for extended periods of time. Samsung lists a few other details on its website:
    Samsung also briefly mentions the CJ89 43-inch curved monitor, but it does not support Thunderbolt 3 connectivity and is USB-C only. Otherwise, that monitor has a 3840x1200 resolution and a 32:10 aspect ratio.

The company says that both the CJ79 and CJ89 are available in Europe right now, and the monitors will launch worldwide "soon." On B&H Photo, the CJ79 Thunderbolt 3 monitor is listed as being available to purchase around the "beginning of September 2018" for $899.99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with B&H Photo. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Samsung's Thunderbolt 3-Enabled Curved Monitor Launching in September for $900

2. leman macrumors G3

3. doitdada macrumors 6502a

doitdada

4. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Thunderbolt. Doesn’t that describe lightning? Which is confusing, since Apple has a lightning connector.

5. jasonefmonk macrumors regular

6. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

7. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

Do you know that Thunderbot 3 is an interface with USB Type-C and used by Apple first?

8. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Thunderbolt and Lightning are confusing? More like very, very frightening—to me, anyway.

9. DipDog3 macrumors 65816

DipDog3

4K TVs can be had for $200, this monitor is no better.

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

11. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

12. Medic macrumors member

Medic

At 34 inches they should have gone with 3440 x 1600 at the very least. I have such a monitor with USB-C by LG and it rocks. Love that resolution, aspect ratio and size.

For those of you that doubt/hate curve, whilst I agree for TVs they are a little strange, the immersion for computing is second to none in my opinion and my workflows greatly improved once tamed. Well worth a try!

13. RyanInBinary macrumors member

I really hate the front branding. I like when my devices are just a screen on the front.

14. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

Asking 900 for this is insane. Samsung has lost their compass totally lately.

15. DaveOP macrumors 65816

This monitor is far better for a lot of tasks, and will have much better input lag than a cheap $200 4k TV.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, beautiful monitor, but its at a price point that pushes it out of the buy column for me.

17. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Have you tried using a cheapo small 4k tv as a monitor before? I have. It's not a good experience...

18. billybobfred macrumors newbie

19. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

20. m00f macrumors newbie

m00f

21. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

Apple should get back to making their own displays - some with built in eGPUs even.

22. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Try one for a few days... you might change your mind.
    I have a 65" 4k curved TV and the background glare is all but eliminated in most viewing angles.
    Great if it's in a room with windows on the opposite wall from the TV.
    The curve is subtle enough that I don't even notice it anymore.

I wouldn't pay $900 for this monitor though, but the curve has nothing to do with that decision.

23. shpankey macrumors regular

24. cogitodexter macrumors regular

cogitodexter

They really aren't. When you get to a sufficient screen size, the distortion at the corners of the screen becomes really unpleasant. For example, I currently have two 43 inch 4K curved monitors running at 60Hz native resolution on my Mac Pro (if it could only drive three at 60Hz I'd have three - and a bigger desk! - but unfortunately it can only drive the third at 30Hz, which is painful).

At large sizes a flat screen becomes very hard to use, as the curve of the screens allows me to sit in the sweet spot all the time. I agree that curved screens are pointless at 'normal' desktop monitor sizes, but there are good use cases for them where they're far more comfortable.