Samsung's woes

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kylera, May 22, 2011.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

This is from a Sunday night special that Korea's KBS1 terrestrial broadcast channel airs about Korean society -- May 15's episode was about constant late-night overwork and showed a bit about Samsung.

From interviewing an ex-employee:

The group I was in was an Apple imitation group. Samsung envied Apple. According to samsung, they (Samsung) go through hell when it comes to making a profit while Apple rakes in the money. My group had 400 people, and our budget was 400 billion won (roughly US$370 million). We had about 100 or so projects, but they all failed.

Screenshots of the interview:[​IMG]

2. Skika macrumors 68030

So does that mean Samsung products looking like Apple's isnt an coincidence:eek::eek:

3. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Probably. Who knows?

And people say I'm not patriotic. Sheesh.

4. HardLuckStories, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011

HardLuckStories macrumors regular

They all failed.

Funny though. Other tech firms were left behind at the iPod, and if it wasn't for the iPod Apple wouldn't be half the company it is today, the 30pin dock secured victory.

Very difficult to immitate Apple too, after all their products are so minimalist.

EDIT: this doesn't even make sense, join me in some French cognac and it'll all be clear!

5. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Indeed, at eye's glance, there really doesn't seem to be anything to imitate. But there's more than meets the eye after all.

I showed this same screenshot to a friend of mine, to which he said, "I can guarantee you that during product launch days in front of Apple Stores, ONE of those guys will ALWAYS be from Samsung."

BTW, my friend doesn't work for Samsung or any other tech company :D

6. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

When I said minimalist, difficult to imitate I meant an iPod looks like an iPod, a MacBook looks like an MacBook and this is tough to copy without looking like a copy *cough* every samsung product over last 2 years.

"hey I'm samsung I just made this great phone, i what? i phone? What? Never heard of it..... :( "

7. patp Guest

The Samsung "culture" will never allow for that kind of creativity to flourish. Apple succeeds because of Steve's singular vision. Samsung and the Korean culture will never have Apple's seemingly flexible and agile marketing/production turns. Samsung is king of pumping out quality products. the manufacturing is solid. But they will never have that singular vision/support that Job's has.

8. beertapper macrumors member

when you play catch up by copying, and not by innovation, you're not going to succeed.

look at firefox and how they responded to chrome

9. HardLuckStories macrumors regular

Copycats.

The east copied everything from the west and made it better, cite American cars as an example and Toyota after ww2.

However the west is now manufacturing goods in the east using the same facilities so lines have become blurred.

10. reputationZed macrumors 65816

You mean like pasta, coins, pottery, irrigation, the cross bow, or paper?

http://www.computersmiths.com/chineseinvention/

11. megsandbytes macrumors member

no surprise really, Apple is a very tough act to follow when it comes to innovation and market share/reach.

12. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs: Good artists copy great artists steal.

Lesson: Samsung = good artists; Apple = Great artists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0DUg63lqU

13. tstarks33 macrumors regular

What does this have to do with the ipad? Not following.

14. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

The Galaxy Tab was created as a competitor to the iPad. Now before anyone says anything else, in Korea, Samsung allegedly lobbied the Korean equivalent of the FCC to delay certifying the iPad so the Tab could beat it to the local market. On top of that, Customs even put a ban on importing the iPad unless it was for personal use.

It didn't do that much good, as the iPad still outsold the Tab in Korea, despite lacking telephone and terrestrial TV features.

15. swy05 macrumors 6502

Oh woah is samsung. What will they ever do.

It doesn't matter that they are the world's largest tech company in sales but since they failed to beat apple, they might as well fold as a company. :rolleyes:

It's not just samsung. Every single tech company has failed when trying to outdo the iPad and iPod. You can insert any company to replace samsung and they will still fail when trying to overtake apple at their game.

If samsung's mobile division was the only thing samsung had then yes, they would be screwed. The mobile division is only a sliver of what the company does. Just like windows 7 mobile phones for ms is only a sliver of what ms does.

16. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Apple is a huge samsung customer, your iPad's screen very likely came from them.

17. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

The first batch came with LG screens, but apparently they were problematic.

18. henchman macrumors 6502a

Remember. Apple doesn't actually MAKE anything.
    They design it, and get a factory to make it for them using components they get from competitors.
    So, Lg and Samsung benefit from the success of Apple as well as from their own product lines.

So they make money either way.

19. Skika macrumors 68030

oh look its the "hurr durr aapl dont mek anythin they jus designn" argument

20. kylera thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

It is mostly true. Apple doesn't have its own Apple-branded plants, though I can't say for their A4 or A5 chips.

Even with PPC Macs, the processors were provided by Motorola.

21. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

"An Apple imitation group."
    Didn't Microsoft have one of those for years!?

22. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

By your thinking, Ford doesn't actually make cars. IKEA doesn't actually make furniture. Boeing doesn't actually make planes.

I would argue that the design and creative process is what actually "makes" a product, not the metal, electrodes, glass and wiring.

23. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

After seeing the Tax imposed on non-Korean vehicles by the Government, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this actually happened. :\

24. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

Apple does make a huge amount of money, however Apple doesn't make quality products anymore. At least not compared to their older products.
    Take a look at their latest products, even the most loyal fanboys have been criticizing them.
    Apple like many other companies is now only looking for profit.
    The amount of popularity that Apple has received has hit the quality of their products.
    At least thats what I think. :)