San Diego Fires -- 2007

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mechcozmo, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I didn't seem a forum thread anywhere, so I decided to make my own.

I'm from San Diego myself, and this worries my quite a bit-- lots of friends and family at risk here. I'm going to be running my webserver, Linkety, with news about the situation as I hear it from family, friends, and sites on the web. Just the facts, ma'am.

Sorry if there is another thread about this already, but I didn't see one. Best wishes to all San Diegans out there!

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As a SD native, I don't know how many times I've seen the place go up in smoke. The area is a desert (as in naturally arid), with fire conditions the norm, and with all the idiotic building that goes on, it's only going to get worse. When I was with Red Cross Disaster Services, I worked more wildfires than I can count.

But then, if it isn't fire season, it's earthquake season. Or mudslide season. Or tourist season. I honestly don't know which is worse.

4. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Linkety to fire coverage maps and evacuation area maps, courtesy of CBS-8.

JohnNotBeatle: This is currently the worst fire on record, and although the area is a desert and very developed that doesn't change the fact that a quarter million people have been ordered evacuated, and many people are in danger. One prison has been evacuated, and hospitals in the entire area have canceled all non-emergency cases. Plus, it isn't just San Diego-- up the coast, through Irvine, Orange County, and into Malibu there are fires that are giving firefighters just as hard a time as in San Diego, leaving everybody stretched thin and unable to help anyone else.

5. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Server died during a power outage. I'm going to try to get it back up.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's very worrisome that there are fires in so many areas. I heard that at least one fire was the work of arsonists.

Fires may be one of nature's methods for renewal of growth, but we'd rather not be part of that renewal process ourselves.

I have a friend in San Diego who says that schools (including UCSD) are closed and that air quality is poor, although his location isn't threatened.

Here in Los Angeles we're used to bad air (cough), but the smoke from Malibu and other fires hasn't helped.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ventura County was a mess yesterday. Visibility was down to about a mile in dense smoke in the afternoon. At 2:00 PM it looked almost like nighttime. Unfortunately I had to be out in it for a good part of the day. My chest still aches.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I know some people in Mira Mesa about a mile or two from the big evacuated area north of SD. Here's hoping they can get these things under control. Hopefully people are heeding evacuation orders at this point and getting out of there...houses and belongings can always be replaced; people can't. :(

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Thats all San Diego unified schools too ..

I'm like 45 mins from Mira Mesa area .. If they say go from the area then i'll be heading north to one of my relatives' homes ..

10. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

I'm here in the La Jolla area too. We're still a ways away from where the fires are, even though they do seem to be surrounding us. I have friends in the Escondido and Rancho Bernardo area though and I hope things turn out to be alright. Here its just the air. It's been really hot today making the bad air quality that much more difficult to bear.

They're predicting that the Ramona fire may reach all the way to the ocean. That means plowing through Carlsbad, Del Mar, and Solana Beach. Lots of homes there. :(

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

im in a canyon that burned in the 2003 wildfires here

im hoping it doesnt get this far down. i think they learned from last time (2003) and have much more support from our local military helos and national guard

it is very bad though, theres a lot of ppl here who have lost everything

12. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

It seriously feels like a scene from War of the Worlds up here in Valencia/Castaic area. :eek:

We are right in the middle of a doughnut (mhmhmhm... ;) ) with fires closing from all sides.
    I'm packing right now in the likely event that an evacuation notice hits my area... :eek:

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Well get off the Internet and save your life!!!

Unless there's a really interesting thread here, of course.

14. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The SD Fire Chief was quoted as saying the only thing that could stop the fire at its current rate was the Pacific.

Mira Mesa has been evacuated. Linkety

15. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

My parents are in Poway which has lost 70 homes so far. They've been evacuated since early this morning so I know everyone in my family is safe, its now just a wait and see for the house.

16. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

The Irvine fire(not really in Irvine anymore) is now right behind my house... (well, right behind the park that is up the street from me)
    We are currently on standby (the fire department may soon tell us to evacuate, when that happens we have 10 minutes to get out)
    A few people have already left,

17. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I have friends in Poway who had to leave this morning too. I hope they're safe.

Seems like you were broken off mid-sentence there. Hopefully all will work out for the best for you and your family... I have family In Irvine that have evacuated as well.

18. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I have relatives who came within feet of loosing their house last time, and it looks like they might be in danger again.

So far the situation throughout So Cal is looking worse than last time. ...and last time was very bad. :(

19. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'm near the 5/Camp Pendleton ... so when the announcement to move we'll move out ..

So tonight i'll stay up 'til early morning to watch the news..

20. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Castaic fires...

Well... no notice yet. I can see flames all along the ridges surrounding the basin that Castaic is in. At the moment we're primarily worried about the Agua Dulce/Canyon Country/Saugus fire will continue it's westwardly push and become the Agua Dulce/Canyon Country/Saugus/Castaic fire. Which barring a major shift in the weather seems likely. :rolleyes: :(

Hard drives, antiques, important papers, iPhone, and other misc. sentimental items are packed and ready to go at a moment's notice. Also, my friend's got two fire hoses and the tools to operate a hydrant ready to deliver upon my request...

Got three full face gas masks prepped and damp keffiyehs to wear for the smoke/embers if it comes to that. :cool:

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This fire isn't getting much press attention, but it has consumed 29,000 acres so far and is surrounding the small town of Piru. It doesn't look like anything will stop it from reaching Fillmore tomorrow.

[​IMG]

22. Aranince macrumors 65816

Yea..I'm here by the Foothill fire. Fortunately my street isn't under evacuation just yet.

23. iRachel macrumors 6502a

My cousin and her husband had to evacuate this morning (I forget exactly where they live). My best wishes to those of you who have to evacuate - please stay safe!

24. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i feel bad for san diego. i lived there and until this, was thinking about moving back there next year, but this is looking like a city destruction, so i may have to move somewhere else instead. it's too bad...

25. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Server's back up. Hit this page: Linkety for the best I can do in terms of information, hints, and links.

Good luck everybody... it'll be a long night.