San Francisco in June

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jonnyb, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jonnyb macrumors 65816

What's the weather like in June? I've looked at average temperature charts, of course, but I'd love to hear from some natives who can tell me what sort of weather to expect in mid to late June.

I like the idea of a trip to the 'Mothership' in Cupertino too, for the hell of it (and some t-shirts). How's the drive from SF - easy?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Summers are cool in San Francisco Peninsula. Especially at night. Retailers sell tons of sweatshirts to tourists who come up from LA expecting warm California weather in downtown SF. A light shirt and khakis should be good for you in the city during late june. Over the bridges it'll get warmer. Because how the air moves, spring and fall are the warmest periods in the peninsula.

3. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

One simple word: layers.

A light jacket will probably be fine for the late afternoon / early evening periods when the wind from the ocean is usually strongest and coldest.

I'd look at the weather forecasts shortly before you leave and pack accordingly, but do definitely pack some long-sleeved shirts and a light jacket and/or sweatshirt at least.

And the drive from San Francisco to Apple HQ is scenic and pretty easy; maybe 45-50 minutes if you avoid commute times.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Chilly in the morning, warm in the afternoon, chilly again in the evening. Bring a light jacket or sweater, and have a couple of long-sleeved shirts at the ready because afternoons aren't guaranteed to get warm. Natives dress in layers, tourists dress in ugly San Francisco fleeces purchased on Pier 39 because they only brought t-shirts and shorts with them.

The drive from SF to Cupertino is fine (outside of rush hour). If you're staying in SF and the majority of what you're doing is in the city, I wouldn't get a rental car for the whole time -- public transit is good enough, and parking is too much of a hassle. If you do go to Cupertino, take I-280 instead of US-101, it's a much prettier drive.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Most of what's in the city, people have covered already. Keep in mind that even "warm" is likely to be low 70s at that time of year, and could at times be much colder. You occasionally hear the Mark Twain quote, "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."

But if you go inland at all, for instance up into the wine country (which I recommend), be prepared for some hot summer weather too. The geography that makes the City cool does not extend very far.

Just pack for everything and you'll be good.