Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
This is going to end one way, Mr. Sergio Calderón is going to get alot of money from Apple and SFPD.

I disagree.

I think both Apple and the SFPD severely crossed the line in this case. At a minimum, the 6 involved should all lose their jobs. BUT, you cannot sue for an act of which you consented. Ultimately, he could have closed the door and told them to get lost. He CONSENTED to their search of his house and car.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
No one did so, nor do I recall ever having done so. Because Apple hasn't actually been convicted of any such thing, at least in recent memory.

So there's nothing that needs to be defended in the first place.

What's the point? My money's on this is your internet act. You're very good at it.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
How is it done?
What about Mr. Sergio Calderón??
You guys make it like he has no rights and anyone can come in and search is house if they come with four SFPD officers.

This is going to end one way, Mr. Sergio Calderón is going to get alot of money from Apple and SFPD.

Nope... you don't have to let them in without a warrant... if you do, then you have no recourse. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

I'm guessing some people have a vision of thugs at the door and their muscling Sergio outside while two black turtle neck Apple thugs go in a ransack the place looking for the phone. If you do... you watch too many movies. :rolleyes:

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
No one did so, nor do I recall ever having done so. Because Apple hasn't actually been convicted of any such thing, at least in recent memory.

So there's nothing that needs to be defended in the first place.

If your phone was actually a corporate prototype worth billions of dollars, then maybe.

Source?

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Why is Apple searching someone's home?

This we know.
Apple employees with 4 SFPD go to Mr. Sergio Calderón house/apt.
He knows they are SFPD because they flash badges and say so.

Someone questions his and his family or friends legal status in the us.
Apple employees search his house/apt on the pretense they are SFPD.

That we know.

And not once did Mr. Sergio Calderón change his stor.
And not once did Apple come forward about this.
And SFPD now changes their tune and says yes we were there at the request of Apple.

Now everyone is brushing this aside and saying see Apple was not necessarily impersonating the SFPD. And that it was a slander to Apple etc...

But before the SFPD re-canted their story, people were saying it was a hoax and the Mr. Sergio Calderón was a lier etc.
And yet none of these people have re-canted and said 'I was wrong about Mr. Sergio Calderón and he wasn't lying about his story.'
Yes those people know who they are and its sad..

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Must you ask?

It's 47% of Apple's quarterly revenue. Not to mention that it earns Apple the biggest profit share in the smartphone space. And that's only the iPhone 4 (and to some extent the 3GS).

Now imagine what the iPhone 5 will pull in.

I'm saying that MR seems to post anything. Knee jerk rumor site. It is what it it is.

It's not the site. It's the members. Rumours are rumours. They get posted. It's up to everyone else to rub a few brain cells together and actually analyze them.

The site owners aren't responsible for that.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Must you ask?

It's 47% of Apple's quarterly revenue. Not to mention that it earns Apple the biggest profit share in the smartphone space. And that's only the iPhone 4.

Now imagine what the iPhone 5 will pull in.
Apparently not anymore. They've lost their prototype with billions of dollars :eek:.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
This we know.

Someone questions his and his family or friends legal status in the us.
Apple employees search his house/apt on the pretense they are SFPD.

That we know.

*snip*

I don't agree that is what we know....we can only be certain so far of what both sides agree too which is only:

This we know.

*snip*

The other two points only one side claims, not both...

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
For what?

I'll let the SF Lawyers figure that out.

From what has happened and has been reported, the SFPD were out of line. They went to his house with Apple employees and questioned his legality in being in the us. Then they didn't follow protocol and never recorded it.

That's just waiting for a lawyer to sue on infringing his rights.

As for Apple, if the Apple employees entered his house on the pretense they were SFPD then there is your problem.

Either way he is going to get money.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
sounds like an episode of that upcoming TV show ...

Attachments

• the_streets_of_san_francisco_the_first_season__volume_one_dvd__large_.jpg
    the_streets_of_san_francisco_the_first_season__volume_one_dvd__large_.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 59

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I don't agree that is what we know....we can only be certain so far of what both sides agree too which is only:

The other two points only one side claims, not both...

I agree on 'what we know' being true or not. So far Mr. Sergio Calderón has been forthcoming and a lot of people were accusing him of lying.

But it's the SFPD that are back tracking and Apple hasn't said anything.
So we will have to see.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
I agree on 'what we know' being true or not. So far Mr. Sergio Calderón has been forthcoming and a lot of people were accusing him of lying.

But it's the SFPD that are back tracking and Apple hasn't said anything.
So we will have to see.

That is definitely a far more accurate statement but I don't yet buy into the conclusions being drawn from them.

cere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
The police were wrong and the source of the original story was wrong. Apple did no wrong here. The SFPD did.

No. Apple requested officers from the SFPD attend a residence with them in order to gain entry to search the house, vehicle and computers in that private residence. If not for the police presence and implied intimidation, do you think it is likely Apple security would have otherwise gained that access? Nothing like the threat of police action against you (implicit in their being there) to gain cooperation from some.

If I bring a goon to your house, with the implied thread he will break you legs unless you give me money, is only the goon outside guilty of extortion?

ridesdeepsnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Lake Tahoe, CA
and I thought the Police weren't personal security...

Well if that's what the police are for, then I will be stopping by for 4 police to "Assist" be to by friend Billy's house so he can pay me the $300 he owes me right?

I guess if you are a high enough tax payer you get Police to "assist" you on your loss of prototype material because dumbass employees can't drink and lose things easily

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
No. Apple requested officers from the SFPD attend a residence with them in order to gain entry to search the house, vehicle and computers in that private residence. If not for the police presence and implied intimidation, do you think it is likely Apple security would have otherwise gained that access? Nothing like the threat of police action against you (implicit in their being there) to gain cooperation from some.

If I bring a goon to your house, with the implied thread he will break you legs unless you give me money, is only the goon outside guilty of extortion?

This is a valid thread of thought to be pursuing if it is indeed how it went down....

However this could of been a valid police investigation as well....the original report could of been filed properly but what sitting on a bureaucrats desk before it was in the system and was not known yet known when SFPD made there initial statement....both threads are equally plausible at this juncture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.