Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I just wanted to share a small project I worked on for the last couple of days. If you use develop apps, you’re probably aware of SF Symbols, the set of glyphs Apple provide for developers to use in apps. They are great, but I like to do a lot of UI mockups/sketches on my iPad, and their viewer app is only available for macOS.

San Fransymbols solves this. It lets you preview every symbol in all 9 weights, plus lets you generate SwiftUI and UIKit code. It even supports drag and drop on iPad, so you can drag either the image into a UI mockup, or the code into an app like Swift Playgrounds.

It’s totally free and doesn’t have ads. If you would like to support the work, there is an option to donate tips, but of course this is completely optional! If you have any feedback on bugs/the UI/new features, I’d love to hear it. It went from initial idea whilst lying in bed to release in around 72 hours, so please do let me know if there are any rough edges.

The future roadmap includes an Apple Watch companion app, grid view, ability to choose a different app icon, and iPad keyboard shortcut support.

Download it free here: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/san-fransymbols/id1504761986

newipad1.png
newipad3.png

If you find it useful, you may like some of the other apps I have worked on, like iFont, which lets you import and install .ttf, .otf and .ttc fonts on your iPhone or iPad for use in apps like Pages and Word.

Thank you!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brad7 and Solomani

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Thanks! I was slowly working up the energy to make something similar just for my own use, but couldn’t get enough energy built up to sit down and crank it out.

Reactions: cambookpro

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks! I was slowly working up the energy to make something similar just for my own use, but couldn’t get enough energy built up to sit down and crank it out.
Hope you find it useful!

v1.1 is coming soon with a couple more minor bug fixes and support for viewing symbols on Apple Watch.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Version 1.2 is out today, introducing keyboard shortcut/cursor support for iPadOS, and a new Grid View for viewing all symbol weights at once.

The app has been really well received, and mentioned in Federico Viticci's and John Voorhees' AppStories podcast links, as well as being retweeted by Steve Troughton-Smith.

If you find it useful, I'd really appreciate it if you could leave a review :)

5ipad.png

6 ipad.png

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Version 2.2 on iOS is out now - includes natural language search. For example, searching for 'maximise' will return symbols such as 'arrow.up.backward.and.arrow.down.forward'... we think that's a more intuitive way to search, and hope you will too!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
50% off until WWDC 2022!

The app has also just been updated to include all new symbols from SF Symbols 3.3, plus a whole host of other refinements.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Public TestFlight is now available for the new update including animated symbols! (iOS 17 beta required)

Reactions: Brad7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.