Sanded the back of my iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnmatrix, Dec 6, 2010.

1. johnmatrix macrumors newbie

I saw a guide on here a while ago about how to sand down and re-polish the back of your iPhone, I kinda liked the brushed finish it had in the middle of the process so I decided to do it to my phone today. I figured if I ruined it I could always buy a replacement back from eBay, but I think it looks pretty sweet so I'm going to keep it like this.

I also put together a simple guide showing what I did.. it's pretty picture heavy.

How to give your iPhone a brushed finish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

That's actually not bad...

I apologize in advance for going off-topic here, but would you mind me asking where you're from (what nationality), as well as where and when you bought the 3G depicted in your photos? I only ask because I noticed that the markings on your iPhone omit the FCC and IC ID numbers on the back. Now I realize that Apple is not compelled to print those IDs on products sold outside of the US and Canada, but I'm pretty sure I have seen them on phones bought internationally, and it doesn't make sense to me that Apple would go to the trouble of making two different parts: one with and one without.

Anyway, to get back ON-topic, reading through your description of how you went about it, it sure sounds like you planned ahead and went to a good deal of trouble to get the look that you were after. Do you find that, after the sanding, the plastic back is either harder to scratch, or that micro scratches simply don't show up as easily? (and so you are less worried about it getting scuffed up now?) Since you were only ever sanding in one direction, I wonder if scratches that go "against the grain" are still as visible as before. I guess if it does start looking ragged again, you could simply resand...the markings on the back must not simply be on the surface of the plastic since they didn't get renoved in the process!

-- Nathan

3. johnmatrix thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries mate (any guesses yet? haha). I'm from Australia, I bought the phone locally too. Comparing to an American iPhone, it seems the little triangle picture is replacing the FCC logo, perhaps that triangle logo is our version of the FCC?

I only did this sanding job today so I can't really say whether it's going to scratch as easily, I will keep you posted though. What I have noticed is that it very easily attracts fingerprints and smudges, and they can be quite hard to rub off. It seems like it has become more porous, that's the best way I can describe it, not sure if it's a good thing yet!

4. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

That is pretty nice looking. Wouldn't have minded that look back when i had my 3G.

5. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Fantastic job!!! It looks really good.

Quick question...can this be done to the back of an iPod Touch to give it a brushed aluminum look?

6. jellybean macrumors regular

That is really, really nice! :) i prefer it to the glossy

7. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

wasnt diggin it in the first pic...but doesnt look so bad in the others.

8. JASApplications macrumors 65816

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought, "Oh S**t, what's this guy done"!

But then after seeing the pics your iPhone looks sick! Nice job!

9. johnmatrix, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010

johnmatrix thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments guys, glad I'm not the only one who thinks it looks pretty slick!

here's a closeup of the Apple logo too
    [​IMG]

10. iErick macrumors member

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Well done looks very good.

Personally I am going to swap to a whit back, I don't think they show scratches as much.

12. Amino Man macrumors 6502

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Try it with your iPhone 4 and show us the results? xD

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

16. STravisC macrumors regular

Pics? im thinking about doing it to mine.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

You aren't going to get any pics from Mr. Banned.;)

18. ItsJustafnPhone, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

You did a damn fine job :D

But can't really say I like the look "Sanded" plastic, it looks unfinished. Sure it might look good in a few pictures but it must look beatup if you hold it the right way, well unless you can find a way to get all the sanding lines 100% parallel.

A better solution would be to have it media blasted to give it a uniform matte finish (would be cool, pretty sure no one has done it yet !)

As a nerd though nothing beats shiny gadgets

[​IMG]

19. johnmatrix thread starter macrumors newbie

You must have been the fella that did the thread on restoring the iphone? you did an awesome job on that one... I was considering bringing my phone back to a polished finish and then sanding the Megadeth (my favourite band) logo into it, that would be an interesting effect.

20. ItsJustafnPhone, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a