SandForce SSDs - OCZ/OWC

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vcuares, Feb 23, 2010.

1. vcuares macrumors member

vcuares

This was discussed on the notebook forums.

Any more real life experience with the OWC SSD's? Seems like OCZ will releasing to market similar SandForce SSDs in the coming weeks.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3747

FTA--> Feb 19 Now we get to the hard part, recommendation time.
    If you’re willing to take the risk, the Vertex LE appears to be the best SSD you can buy at $399.

Go up another $100 and the recommendation is easily the Crucial RealSSD C300. Again, assuming that nothing horrible ever happens with the drive. <--

OWC got 5yrs warranty vs OCZ 3yrs.

I'm looking at the 50GB ones. Planning it as my boot drive plus Lightroom/PS scratch in a 2008 Mac Pro. As I assume the faster writes vs the Intel x25m's will make better scratch disks.

2. NoManIsland macrumors regular

I was looking at the OWC drives as well, but I was put off by a glowingly positive review on digilloyd. Okay, that sounds a little odd, but the thing is all of digilloyd's banner adverts etc were for OWC or OWC products such as NewerTech and Sonnet (all linking to macsales). He has a linked disclaimer at the bottom of the review that OWC is his exclusive advertiser, but the whole thing feels fishy and I haven't seen any other respectable reviews on their SSDs. I would be interested to see what an *independent* reviewer would have to say.:confused:

3. vcuares thread starter macrumors member

vcuares

Strangely, I thought the same. However, Anand reviewed a very similar OCZ Vertex LE/Vertex 2 Pro with similar specs, performance and pricing. So there may be some meat on diglloyd's glowing review.

http://tinyurl.com/ydmrbud

OCZ will be also releasing regular Vertex 2's with the Sandforce controllers at a pricepoint similar to their current Vertex lineup. If they release it soon enough, I might wait and see the performance specs for this before I start buying.

4. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

But he also had a Vertex 2 Pro fail on him... Supposedly the Vertex LEs are more stable, but right now we don't know much about the longevity of the OWC product. I generally hesitate with any new company very new to SSD production...

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think the main concern here is the unproven nature of the SandForce controller and not whether it is from OCZ or OWC.

Especially considering this is a limited edition product. I would not trust my data to this Solid State Drive unless I had a viable backup solution at hand.

Right now I am waiting for Q'4 2010 for Intel's 160GB, 400GB and 600GB Solid State Drives.

6. vcuares thread starter macrumors member

vcuares

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

If you're getting a 50 GB, or even a 100 GB (though it seems like the 100 GB is even more competitive than OCZ's offering), just back up your data, which would be real cheap at that price. I'd say relax and trust OWC's warranty, which is long, and their customer service, which is great.

They're a highly respected reseller around here and elsewhere. And their pricing on that SSD is competitive.

Don't forget, it outperforms the X-25M, which used to have the performance crown for MLC. It's cheaper than an X-25E, and performs better in a lot of ways.

8. Mac4L1ph3 macrumors newbie

http://www.barefeats.com/hard130.html