Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
hi folks,

I've never had this situation before - my SD card is locked.

I'm on latest leopard release, using a sandisk card reader and can not format this card. it's somehow locked. it just says 'read only' access. I'm the admin for my mac pro and haven't changed users or anything so i'm throughly confused.

the slider is not set to lock,
i checked the info and there is no 'lock' available on the card to open it up to change settings.
i even tried formatting in my camera hoping that would reset the permissions, but that's a no go. says the card is locked.

i looked for drivers and/or software on sandisk's website (no, i didn't keep the disk last year in July)....figured I didn't need it b/c Macs have all the drivers (and I didn't need the disk until now).

any suggestions?

i'm more baffled that I just used this card last night, dloaded pics from it and then it locked. very, very odd or at least something i've never experienced before.

Cheers,
Keebler

vorkorsigan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto
Have you had this working before? This reader with this card I mean.

If this card is 4Gb or up (High capacity) then it will do this if you try to read it in a reader only able to read normal SD cards not the high capacity ones?

Only thing I can think of!

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Try this:

http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandi...3RleHQ9c2QgY2FyZCBsb2NrZWQ*&p_li=&p_topview=1

SOLUTION 2 - Toggle the lock switch.

If the lock switch is not on lock:
1. Slide the switch up and down. Repeat this 3 times.
2. Let it stay on the Lock position for 30 seconds.
3. Slide the switch up to unlock the card.
4. Try to transfer files into the device.

I don't really use SD cards even though I do have some, did you by any chance happen to remove the card from the reader or the reader from the pc without ejecting it or something?

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Try this:

http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandi...3RleHQ9c2QgY2FyZCBsb2NrZWQ*&p_li=&p_topview=1

SOLUTION 2 - Toggle the lock switch.

If the lock switch is not on lock:
1. Slide the switch up and down. Repeat this 3 times.
2. Let it stay on the Lock position for 30 seconds.
3. Slide the switch up to unlock the card.
4. Try to transfer files into the device.

I don't really use SD cards even though I do have some, did you by any chance happen to remove the card from the reader or the reader from the pc without ejecting it or something?

thanks. i had to toggle the switch and get this, I had to put my card into my pc and format it there which reset everything.

Macilias

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
HINT for Printer Card Interface

If you are using a printers SD card interface you might also have a separate setting in the printer. This was a case with my Canon MP550 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.