Sandisk Extreme SDHC/Pro (Do I need an adapter?)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cicatrix, May 30, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Hi Mac folks, I am looking into purchasing either the Sandisk Extreme SDHC or the Extreme Pro 16gb card. I will be testing, and using it for recording a few tracks of audio, and would like to know if I need an adapter for the MBP to read this card. I know that Sandisk came out with an adapter but I am not quite clear on whether I need it or not.

Please advise!

Thanks for your time and attention.:)

Edit: Actually I guess I should have said a reader, instead of an adapter, sorry.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If your MBP is 09 or newer, and not a 17", it has a built in reader for SD cards. Otherwise you need a reader.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I use this SDHC card in my 2011 and 2009 15" MBPs without a problem.

4. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The 2011 MBP has an SDXC slot. Which supports up to a 2TB SD card. They don't exist in that capacity though (as far as I know).

5. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Excellent news people. Thanks so much. I am considering getting that same model boshii. How is it treating you, and would you recommend it?

I just read that the new 2011 MBP's have the SD slot integrated into the pcie buss. This would be lighting fast by not having to use the USB connection.

6. petsk macrumors 6502

petsk

There's no such thing as 'lighting fast' when it comes to SDHC cards. I have a Sandisk 16 GB extreme card (SDSDX3-016G-E31 Sandisk SDHC), using it both on an i7 imac and i5 mbp (2010 model). And I can tell you that especially small files are so slow to transfer that one could believe somethings wrong with the card. Big files max out at about 25-30 MB/s transfer rate.

7. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Duly noted petsk. Thanks for your information. I would imagine 25-30 MB would be enough for recording 1 to 2 audio tracks though. I wouldn't be transferring to large files however. 1 to 2gb max at any given time.

Maybe lighting fast wasn't the right word.:D

8. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

It will depend on the quality with which you record that audio. Do you need to record it directly to the card?

9. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes it would be recording directly to the card at 24bit/44,100 1 to 2 mono tracks at a time. It should be plenty fast in theory.

Another thing I just found out from Sandisk, and am not sure if this apply's to the 2011 Macbook Pro's or not. is this:

"Currently, we have identified that the UHS feature does not work on the Macbook PRO using its built in reader. We do not have a list of the affected MacBook Pro models. These problems are not isolated to SanDisk brand SDHC cards. SanDisk is working with the manufacturer to determine a solution."

10. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that was the point. Being able to record directly to the card. That way, when I'm out and recording somewhere, I would not have to lug around a big external drive. I would just record right onto the SD card.