Sandisk SSD speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brentg33, Jul 23, 2014.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,
    i have a macbook pro 2,2
    i believe its late 2006 or early 2007
    I installed a Sanddisk SDSSDP128G 128gb SSD
    while initially the improvement was very nice....i have recently noticed that the machine freezes/beachballs quite often. especially when opening apps like safari for the first time.
    I ran a few benchmarking applications and found some really poor numbers....at times only getting 3mb/s write speeds...but avg 30 mb/s write and 120 mb/s reads......
    i know that my macbook on has a sata link speed of 1.5gb....
    however, i thought at least the write speeds should be much better than what I'm getting.
    i have since ran disk utility (repair disk---no issues)
    all the other stuff too....permissions,caches, essentially all that Cocktail or Onyx has to offer....PRAM and SMC resets....
    i eventually reformatted the SSD and reinstall OS X lion (the lastest my MBP can run)
    I also do have trim enable set to on.
    I then happen to read some less than flattering reviews of this SSD and perhaps its just a lower end SSD and this is what i should be getting...
    i just wanted to check with everyone to see if there is anything else i should try.....before i decide to get another, better SSD or perhaps a new MBA...

thanks

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

In any case, I'd start making backups if you weren't doing that currently...

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not my primary mac. But I'm doing time machine to my diskstation. And Dropbox and cloud station for somethings

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have you enabled TRIM on the drive? If not, that can cause write speeds to degrade over time.

Use this app to enable TRIM, then do a boot to single user mode and type "fsck -fy" (without the quotes) at the command line. That will TRIM all unused blocks on the drive and hopefully restore your write speeds. Then type reboot.

Please let me know if this helps. :)

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have trim enabler on
    Should I still do the terminal command

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that will TRIM the unused space and may help.

Just to be clear, this is not in Terminal though. Boot to single user mode and you will see a command line there where you can enter the command.

7. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i did try it.
    might have helped a slight bit
    getting 41 mb/s seq writes
    38 mb/s rewrites
    and 111 mb/s reads

thanks though for your help....