Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

espanta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2010
I have a SandDisk Cruzer USB flash drive and have been having issues using it between my mac and my fellow PC users. First I downloaded some sandisk software to remove their Launchpad crapware that comes on it and then reformatted the disk using DiskUtility at MS-DOS(FAT). Great, I have a 4GB drive, right? sorta. i put some files on it and plug it into a friends PC and Windows says the disk needs to be formatted. oh well i say (i need one of his presentation files) go ahead and format it. when he tries to format it, only 200MB are available to format and I think it was NTFS which I was then able to read and copy the file off onto my mac but two disks show up in the Finder, one with 3.2GB and the other only a couple hundred MB. Funny enough my files were still on the larger portion while he put his on the newly-formatted smaller partition.
What gives? How can I format my flash drive so both PC and Mac users can read and write to the disk? Are there remains of this Launchpad still lurking around on the drive even though I have erased it?
Thanks

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I just recently ran into this issue with a USB stick of my own (non SanDisk). It's not SanDisk or their software, but rather that even though it's being formatted FAT32, it's still using the GUID Partition Table partition scheme. What you need to do is select Master Boot Record from the Options in the Partition tab. Once you select Master Boot Record and MS-DOS, you're gold!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.