Sandpaper Scratches on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by p3ntyne, Jan 10, 2014.

1. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Hi Everyone,

Recently, I unintentionally dropping some sanpaper on to the screen of my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, while the scratches are not too large, they illuminate and are highly visible whenever the screen is on.

Would anyone know of an efective way to remove those scratches.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Replace the glass. That's really your only option. You can try a screen protector that sticks to the glass, maybe it can "fill in" the scratches and mask it but mostly you cannot do anything but replace it. :(

3. leftyMac macrumors regular

I used to finish guitar bodies, and the first thing I would do is lightly and carefully wet-sand the rough surface with the finest sandpaper you can find and buff the glass with wax. if you are ready to replace the screen, you might as well try polishing and buffing to see if that helps. any hardware store (in Canada, there's Canadian Tire, that's where I'd go) should cary polishing wax or something.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Which MBP do you have? If you have a retina display, you'll most likely have to replace the whole top lid ($600+). If, however, you have a cMBP, you can replace just the glass. For that, you need to remove the screen lid from the laptop (option but highly recommended) and then use a heat gun and small suction cups to remove the display. It's not an easy task, but if done properly, you'll get the glass out. After that, you can install a replacement glass (around $60 new, $30 from China).

Best of luck.

Regards
    Raptor