Sandy Bridge? Amazing!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsbarone, Jun 7, 2008.

1. jsbarone macrumors regular

Looking at Intel's roadmap earlier today, I was stunned to learn that Sandy Bridge will be a miniscule 22nm. This blows my mind----what can we expect from such a CPU and chipset? Any rumors or promises from intel? It looks to be about 2 years away.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. Nehalem isn't even out. MacBooks won't get Nehalem until summer '09. Let's just talk about THAT.

3. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

Feel free to do so, but I am more interested in SB and what it may bring. 22nm should offer low heat, high speed low power computing right? We could be looking at 12+ hour battery life with the advancements being made in the battery field and such low power consumption. Just my guess though----a lot of you know more than me, and I'd love to hear your opinions!

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah. Same with Nehalem.

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

This just in - the 2011 Prius will have awesome gas mileage.

No point in discussing something that is only conceptual at this point, especially when the next thing coming hasn't even been released (Nehalem)

6. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Cute.
    Inquiring minds wonder why we shouldn't discuss products that are on the horizon, although not here yet. It makes perfect sense and is potentially interesting to me at least.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Man I can't wait for the processor 2 tocks after Sandy Bridge... !

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I for one think its great someone is talking about something thats not next in line. It gives people even more to look forward too.

So what if nehalem isnt out yet. Dont read the thread if you dont like the subject right?
    :D

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you get an entire what? 10 minutes? between 65nm and 45nm... dropping another 20 isnt going to magically provide 8 hours of battery performance...no it'll be a loooooong time until 12+ hours on a regular laptop, unless apple can get their solar LCDs going soon

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the OP did mention that improvements in Lithium Ion technology recently which would substantially increase battery capacity.

11. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Yeah, my analysis can be taken only so far. :)

12. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It's not the processor that is to blame for the most power consumption nowadays. It's the display and mechanical parts, HD, optical and the like which needs to be optimized.

Getting 8 more hours of a smaller die just doesn't make sense, unless of course drastic improvements are made on batteries :)

13. jsbarone thread starter macrumors regular

This is true :) I tried to make a point of saying battery tech will advance as well. Possible improvements by the time SB comes out...

Way better/cooler batteries
    affordable + high capacity SSD drives
    OLED (or better) screens

Ive heard mention of cheap superconducting plastics that may dramatically reduce attenuation and reduce the size and heat of the components. who knows? maybe we'll have ultra efficient nano capacitor batteries that recharge in 5 seconds. A guy can dream huh?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So now we censor what people can discuss in these forums? I'm not interested in games, but I certainly don't tell others not to discuss them! If you don't like the discussion, click on the next thread. :cool: