Sandy bridge and ATI Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamesyd1991, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jamesyd1991 macrumors member

Would it be possible for apple to use sandy bridge processors and ATI graphics in the next MBP refresh???? Are they compatable together?

2. aussiedj macrumors regular

Sandy Bridge as far as I know, pushes aside the need for a seperate GPU in the lower end portables.

There will definitely be a seperate GPU in the MBP's, but what makes you want it to be ATI branded? It is highly unlikely I would say. We would have heard about strong partnerships between the 2 companies long ago.

3. zodqyv macrumors regular

Apple uses both nVidia and AMD (ATi) graphics. No partnership necessary.

4. jamesyd1991 thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a 13 inch model which i hope gets SB, but i would also like it to have a separate gpu, i'm probably dreaming lol... Just thought ATI would have been an option for them

5. aussiedj macrumors regular

"Tell em He's dreamin"

6. pedrofan macrumors 6502

He is dreaming, new macbook pros doesn't exists outside apple, so everybody is dreaming in this forum :rolleyes:

7. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

i would also really like to see this, it would make sense for apple too, ati offers much better performance per watt than nvidia.

8. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

go get an alienware m11x then :)
    really, if the macbook (or macbook pro 13") got a discrete gpu and they dont add a second fan, itll be burned. and to have 2 fans and a discrete gpu, you have to remove the optical drive, which won't happen (at least on the pro, maybe on the white it will).
    But even with 2 fans and only 13" space, the discrete gpu will burn a lot. Even the 15" gets really hot (like 80-90 celcius) when playing games on the discrete!

9. TSE macrumors 68030

The Sony Vaio SA which is the future Sony 13 inch powerhouse laptop has an AMD Radeon 6630HD chip which is about 15-20% faster than a 330m. It hasn't been released yet but information has leaked out about it.

AMD (ATI) has essentially defeated nVidia in the graphics card market for now except for on the high end.

10. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

ATI is not around anymore, they were bought by AMD.

AMD chips now.

11. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Nvidia vs AMD Graphics

Maybe we will see them inside MBP 15"/17", but not inside 13" (as well as NVidia).

Apple is switching from NVidia to AMD Graphics.

I used to be a Nvidia fan, but now I see that Nvidia is losing the race both in laptop and desktop spheres.
    So, at this moment, I prefer AMD Graphics.

Check these comparison tables: the numbers will tell you all the truth.
    Comparison of Nvidia graphics processing units
    Comparison of AMD graphics processing units

But this situation might change. Competition is good for us, customers.