Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Apple Corps, Feb 27, 2011.
When should we see a Sandy Bridge micro architecture xeon in the Mac Pros?
The CPUs for Mac Pro (LGA 1356 and LGA 2011) won't be out until Q4 2011.
Thanks - a long wait for sure.
Throw in the 3+ month delay to production and month+ distribution time and we'll be lucky to see the SB MP's by Feb 1, 2012.
I'd also be VERY surprised to see an 'interim' (with T-Bolt) update before the SB release. While MP's don't "need" T-Bolt, it will likely be included in the SB update. JMO.
Agreed - an even longer wait. I was hoping to use my newly purchased 15" MBP (Sandy Bridge) to "replace" my MP. However - Thunderbolt RAIDS are probably going to cost a small fortune and won't be available anytime soon. I'd like to sell my MP while it is still worth some decent $$$ but don't see a viable storage alternative as FW800 is too slow and Thunderbolt arrays won't be out there for some time and will cost $$$$$$ as mentioned.
So - I will probably maintain status quo and continue with my MP as the heavy lifter, enjoy my new 15" as a replacement for my 17" C2D, and patiently wait to see what shakes out.
Congrats on the new MBP. Please let us know how it compares (when heavy lifting) to your MP. I'm sure there are plenty of MP owners thinking of adding this new "workhorse" to their stable.
Perhaps you should email OWC and see when they plan on releasing their T-Bolt storage solutions. They should be as fast as any in getting these released.
Will do - the OWC site is quiet on the Thunderbolt topic - and Promise is showing a Q2 release (probably very expensive) / LaCie a summer release with the Intel 510 series - fast, but big $$ initially.
My needs / wants will be best served by large capacity storage with fairly fast (SATA 6) transfer speeds. So, a RAID array for hard drives with a Thunder bolt connection would be ideal - the latest emerging connect technology w/o all the large capacity SSD cost.
I really hate LaCie. I have a closet full of their power adapters that have gone bad. The only thing they have to do right is make a case. And they do it so freakin wrong. Sorry, end rant.
Let us hope that LaCie is not a primary provider of Thunderbolt peripherals. I have never used them but - for whatever reason - have a negative bias concerning price/performance and reliability.
I've never had anything but trouble with LaCie drives, but I doubt they'll be the primary vendor.
A quick update - the "heaviest lifting" I'll be doing with this new 15" is returning it to the store.
Remember, I've been using a 17" C2D MBP for a year and a half or so.
This new 15" has the worst sounding speakers I have ever heard in a Mac - like little tin boxes. Also, there is a bias towards the right channel.
The 750GB hard drive (Toshiba) is noisy and generates an oscillating hum in the body.
So far, the secure erase of the drive is very slow - not sure why.
I may try a 17" tomorrow - not sure - but this thing will be returned in the morning.
FWIW - the new 17" is now on my desk and has substantially better speakers and no vibration / HD hum
Now I can focus on finally loading Apps and testing the performance out.
Rubbish. There is not likely to be an extended delay. At least for CPU. ( if the support chips are trying to weave in PCI-e v3.0 then maybe. But that isn't Sandy Bridge). If you talking about Apple getting a MP out the door. It was a "take the hit now versus take the hit next year" issue. The MPro releasing last July/Aug directly aligned with the updated SB Xeon release schedule. It will be about a 12 month release cycle just like the MPs were on before Intel pushed out the Xeon releases. All the vendors we pulled the trigger early last year will take a 3+ month "late" (relative to anniversary ) release this year ( unless they punt on Xeon E5's and go E3's).
This year Intel put a larger gap between the desktop and mobile release to reduce the likelihood of product shortages. Last year they did a Xeon refresh much closer to the release of the mobile Westmere and never really caught up with demand until June/July. If they push the server Xeons to July/August that should solve that problem.
Similarly, the lower end 3xxxx series (e.g., 3500 , 3600 series) line of Xeons have been separated in the release process from the 5000 series. Again further simplifying what they are releasing at any one time. This looks like it is slipped from the 2/20 date. (http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/..._and_prices_for_Xeon_E3-1200_series_CPUs.html) However, even if slip to end of March that still around when Xeon released last year.
Not very likely given Intel is now setting expectations down for PCI-e enabled T-bolt cards. Yet another reason why Apple needed to kick the product design targeted date later into the year. They'll either need to come up with some kind of kludge or rethink whether to add integrated (or discrete soldered onto motherboard) graphics to the MP.