Sandy Bridge Articles on AnandTech

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pentad, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Looks like I'll finally be upgrading my Q9550; Eying the i5 2500K and the i7 2600K (prices be damned).

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

sure did, I'm more looking forward to the ivy bridge :)

4. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

great, my 17" i5 is already an obsolete dinosaur :(.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

exactly! :(

6. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

dammit man you were supposed to be reassuring!

i'm sorry for that outburst. i'm in a delicate place right now. somebody hold me.

7. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

hahaha! You can't possibly be in the tech world without knowing that at the speed technology advances at, stuff is going to be somewhat obsolete by the time it hits the market. Use what you have till it breaks, then buy what seems good at the time. If you don't do that, you will go insane.
    On a different note, it seems like we are not going to be getting mobile quadcores in the MBPs any time soon. I think we might see mobile Qcores in the MBPs about 2-4 yrs down the line, when the next architecture change is due, after Ivy Bridge.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

your post = Moores law.
    oh and what your saying about mobile quad cores, ivy bridge...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

i cant get why the sandy bridge is running at 100Mhz bus speed, running at 1200Mhz on this i7, acording to CPU-X
    http://www.pcworld.dk/modules/davinci/getfile.php?id=41695 a pic of CPU-Z with sandy bridge

9. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

that is because of intel turbo boost i think. it only scales as performance is needed. so it won't be using the full power all the time. the 100mhz is the base 1x step multiplier. it says it has 31 multipliers so it ends up being as fast as 3.1 ghz.

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

don't think so, shows 31x multiplier in use.
    unlike cpu-x cpu-z dynamically changes to display current state.

11. Stingray454 macrumors 6502a

I admit I'm excited about Sandy Bridge.. but I'm worried as to when we'll see these in macs. From the roadmap it looks as if these processors will be available around Q1-Q2 2011. I guess "available" means "first unit starts to ship".. For an actor like Apple, that needs several million chips, they would probably have to wait a bit to get the supply they need. Also, Apple don't usually incorporate steaming fresh technology in their computers - it seems they usually wait a bit (to get enough supply, wait for the prices to go down or whatever). It seems to me we can expect MBP's with sandy bridge at the very earliest at the end of 2011 :(. I hope I'm wrong.

12. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Partners (Dell, HP, Apple etc etc) get first dibs on chips, as always. "Available" refers to consumer availability.