Sandy Bridge Changes the Game!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lloyd709, Jan 6, 2011.

1. lloyd709, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

lloyd709 macrumors 6502

Excuse the pun!!

I'm a 1.1 mac owner and very happy with it for professional purposes (I'm a photographer) with it's 12 Gig of memory, SSD boot drive, 8 cores, 5770 graphics and RAID.

BUT - I have this burn for faster graphics. I'm not a big gamer but love to play the odd game now and then. I'm 42 - earning a bit of cash - and up until the recent reviews of the Sandy Bridge chip - was very tempted to upgrade to a Hex core 3.33 Mac Pro with a 5780 card basically, if I'm honest, just for the graphics improvement.

But, for £1100 (including VAT), I can get a PC that will blow the socks off of Apple's fasted games machine (that costs over £3000). Specifically, a computer with a i5 2500K clocked to 4.2 Ghz, Nvidia 580 GTX graphics card.

Apple have an awesome operating system (especially with the un-paralleled power and versatility of Apple Script) and great design. BUT, I think they may soon be very off of the pace with their hardware cost v performance ratio unless they upgrade their Mac Pros soon (which I don't think they will)!!

Just me thinking out loud!!

2. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

you're greatly mistaken in thinking that sandy bridge alters anything concerning graphics. Graphics are dependent on the graphics card. Sandy Bridge will make a negligible difference. Also you are in the wrong thread. This is a macbook pro thread not a mac thread.

3. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

depends on the game

4. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

Applogies for posting to the wrong thread - I've just posted to the correct thread.

Regarding your comment though - current graphics are heavily CPU dependent and an over clocked 4.2 to 4.8 sandy bridge processor (at £145) will at the very, very least equal (I'm saying only equal because I don't want a too heavy a debate) the fastest Mac Processor for games.

Also, a computer built around this chip costs a fraction of a Mac Pro and can take a Nvidia 580 graphics card (to it's full potential and some more).

I know the obvious response is "go buy a PC then". I probably will (in addition to my Mac) but just thought some people might in interested in the latest situation of Mac v PC power v cost situation!!

5. neondrgns macrumors regular

neondrgns

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=13454
    Graphics are not very CPU dependent once you pass a certain point as this guy demonstrates.
    Games may sometimes be CPU dependent, but that is not so much a function of their graphics, as the game having to handle a large amount of objects in the game, not in so much rendering the game itself.

PCs always cost a fraction of a Mac Pro -> that is a function of the apple tax. The Mac does not really correlate with whats inside the mac, their profit margins constantly fluctuate. They just like to keep certain price points.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am going to guess by the 6 extra cores, 8 extra GB of RAM and a graphics card which is every so slightly larger that you are talking about the Mac Pro.

Agreed; but they also ensure that the Mac Pro has a high standard of capability which stands above the crowd to help warrant dropping as much as $25,000 into a single computer

7. mark28 macrumors 68000

Don't get something like a GTX 580. The 500 series is just a rebranded old tech cards.

The fastest GPU is still the old ATI 5970. Later the ATI 6990 will come which will be the new king of GPU's.

I believe there will be 8-core Sandy Bridge CPU's for the desktops later this year. Will be interesting.

8. lloyd709, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've done quite a bit or research on this and I think the 580 is overall the fastest, quietest and coolest card on the market. On some games, the 5970 is slightly faster but the frame rates varies a lot more as the game is played in contrast to the 580 that keeps a more consistent frame rate. And on some games it is slower than the 580.

I want to apologise again for this post being in the wrong thread - I accidentally posted it here!

9. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Wow, pcs are cheaper and better (due to a wider range of available configurations) gaming machines than Macs? Really? You must be kidding me! What an amazing discovering! :rolleyes:

Honestly - if you want and can afford both, a Mac Pro for your photography needs and your preference for Mac OS as a working environment, and a pc for gaming go for it. I'm sure your current machine can handle your Mac OS needs for a couple more years since it's about photography and not video/3D rendering.