Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Sandy Bridge iMacs Due Next Week

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider confirms the early reports that iMacs are due to be refreshed this week.
More specifically, people familiar with the matter say Apple plans to introduce the new models on Tuesday, May 3, swapping out the systems' first-gen Core i processors and miniDisplay ports for second-generation Core i chips and the company's new high-speed Thunderbolt port.
May 3rd is believed to be scheduled as a day for promotional materials at Apple stores to be changed out, likely marking the release of a new product.

Apple is widely expected to adopt Thunderbolt across their product line from here on out. They first introduced Thunderbolt on the MacBook Pros released in February. Thunderbolt promises a faster connector technology to drive external displays, hard drives and more.

Article Link: Sandy Bridge iMacs Due Next Week

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Wonder if the top of the line Core i7 Sandy Bridge iMac will be faster than many of the SP Mac Pro configurations.

Comment

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
Time to buy a machine for my wife.

Just hope they don't decide to redesign the iMac the beginning of next year like they plan to do with the Macbooks.

Comment

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Great, now can someone please release a product that actually uses Thunderbolt so I can get it for my MBP?

Comment

unobtainium

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just hope they don't decide to redesign the iMac the beginning of next year like they plan to do with the Macbooks.

Neither will be redesigned next year. Look at the length of time Apple stuck with the previous design. There are still a few years left to this "look."

Comment

dst98

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

unobtainium said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Neither will be redesigned next year. Look at the length of time Apple stuck with the previous design. There are still a few years left to this "look."

When do you estimate they will come out with the redesigned exterior?

Comment

Macinthetosh

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Beverly Hills

They stuck with the previous design for 3-4 years. It has now been 3 years with the current look.

Comment

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

Except there are multiple sources saying that MacBook Pro's will indeed be redesigned next year.

Comment

JMP

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
When the hell are they gonna re-implement spaces !!@$%#^&(&)(#

I need to be able to assign it to any corner I want !!!

What the Hell is wrong with them !!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comment

JMP

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
Why do they want OS X users to feel as if we were on an iPad!!!???
If I wanted/needed one, I'd buy one. What the hell !!!???????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comment

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Great news.

I wonder if the price for SSD storage will be more reasonable?

They have been "tweaking" this design a bit over the years, making it thiner, and reducing the size of the chin. (and going from Plastic to Aluminium if you really want to push it as technically, those early iMacs had the same design.)

I think a big redesign to a drafting table/upright convertible style iMac is somewhere in the future, but OS X Lion is probably not the OS it will be running.

- Don

Comment

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Curious that everyone is clamoring for a thunderbolt-enabled machine, but there isn't a single thunderbolt drive available on the market.

I guess some people just need to feel like they have new stuff even if it's totally pointless.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.