Sandy Bridge is MacBook Big Bro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Politis macrumors regular

Concerns about Sandy Bridge after idle talk about Macs:

1/ That it will transform our MacBook Pro... into... MacBook Big Bro.... That its manufacturers have designed it to monitor your usage and send back information about your activities. Who designed them? Why so much effort for something which is basically marginal improvements?
    2/ That its TDP - ability to dissipate heat - will still mean that the lap top will become too hot on occasion.
    3/ That it will consume more power and reduce battery life.
    4/ That your average user will not notice any improvements in performance.
    5/ That the best thing Mac could do is bring down its prices; make sure that Macs will not suffer a sudden attack of viruses; compensate the text size which is made to shrink by higher resolution.

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

1) Your paranoid, the CPU doesn't track your activities, and I actually know one of the designers. So I'm a bit insulted.

2) It has the same TDP as the C2D and current iX line. it wont be any worse then the currant line up.

3)It uses less power than the C2D and the same/less then the current line up depending on model.

4) The average person wont motive C2D vs Core i5 either

5) Common sense; Common sense; and depends on the user, I use a 2048x1152res on a display I have at home. I dont have any problems with reading text.

Do you do any research or just read paranoid posters then copy/paste?

3. NT1440, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Uh, its just a new processor, thats it. It's not some sort of revolution in how computers work.

As for the big brother stuff, well thats just a bit paranoid...

4. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

how are you on a forum about computers with so little knowledge about them? sorry for being harsh

5. vectus macrumors member

The "big brother" issue is actually very real, but does not apply to most of the consumer level chips. I think he is referring to vPro. It has been in use for businesses for quite some time. vPro will allow users control of the hardware of the system via wi-fi, 3g, or ethernet. This will allow you to wipe your drive in case your laptop is stolen. As far as I know, these chips do not feature vPro. There will be a select line of chips offered for business models in the future that will showcase this updated technology (keep in mind this is nothing new).

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-a...Enhancements-Coming-with-Sandy-Bridge-551570/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369110,00.asp

http://www.itworldcanada.com/news/intels-new-core-vpro-chipset-bakes-in-3g-kill-pill/142499

So, no, it doesn't track your activities. The issue is that it could be compromised or hacked by an outside source. It is possible to disable vPro at the BIOS level, but it is also possible to re-enable it remotely. This is a huge concern for some users.

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

yes vPro is really old. I remember that about 5yrs ago. its for security and remote IT support.

7. Politis thread starter macrumors regular

vPro and a sigh

Yep, I had the vPro in mind.
    By the way, that guy tells you everything, yeah? ;) I know a guy from the design team of a car; do you think I'm gonna feel insulted if you question that model? :rolleyes: I don't think so LOL.

Mac has been going on and on about its update and we end up with no-big-deal Sandy Bridge? Soon Apple will be charging us simply for thinking about Macs.

8. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Haha, I don't think Apple has said a word about the update. It is all of us that have been going on and on about it. A "no-big-deal Sandy Bridge" update? It's a processor, and every computer manufacture from here to kingdom come will also be giving a "no-big-deal Sandy Bridge" update to their lineup. Do you want your computer to be able to make you a sandwich or something? Goodness gracious.

9. dwhynman macrumors regular

I wish Apple would say anything about this update. If they even mentioned anything this place would be going crazy.

10. aCondor macrumors 6502

Actually, yes. I think that would be grand.

11. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Haha, that would be nice wouldn't it? Maybe Ivy Bridge..:D.

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I also thought it is no big deal and just a little better here and there. But guys did you read the reviews of the Quad Core Chips.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-2920xm-core-i7-980x-sandy-bridge,2851.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-2920xm-core-i7-980x-sandy-bridge,2851.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape

Well yeah there is always TDP but there are some announced 14" Quad Core Notebooks now, thus it is not impossible that they change the 15 and 17" to Quad Sandy Bridge.
    Aside from TDP everything seems to be perfect about those chips. Performance gain would be huge, batterylife about the same or better, there would finally be a real reason for the price mark up over the 13" again.

I always thought it will just be Dual Core Sandy Bridge in the next MBP. But after reading how great those new Quad Cores are (efficiency up 60%) I believe Apple might have tweaked the cooling system a little to being able to put those in. It is definitely possible if they want to and I guess they new how good those chips were and they should have acted on it.

Even the current cooling sys wouldn't mean any hotter Notebooks at little load and only slightly hotter at high load. Maybe something like windows hot on OSX. I never felt it got too hot (gaming in bootcamp) because the heat is where it doesn't bother me.

A Dual Core Sandy Bridge in something like the 17" would be a joke considering this new QC chips.