Sandy Bridge Launching Ahead of Schedule! - New SB Mac Pro's?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by simplymuzik3, Jul 14, 2010.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

CPUs suitable for Mac Pro i.e. Xeons are not expected to be launched before H2 2011. The chips coming in late 2010/early 2011 are for mainstream (LGA 1155 socket), thus only dual and quad core.

3. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

^what Hellhammer said

quote from article:

"Initial versions of the chips will be for desktop and laptop computers, not servers, according to David Perlmutter, head of Intel's chip architecture group, speaking at IDF Beijing last April. Products with the chips inside usually come out a few months after the chips ship, he said."

Mac Pro uses server CPU's.

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

April 2011 Mac Pro update then when apple gets these CPUS early?

5. simplymuzik3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I guess SB will be for the 2011 Mac Pro's (if they're not discontinued by then) :rolleyes:

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Reports have been saying Q4 release for DP version, meaning late 2011 for dual CPU Mac Pro. Remember IF Apple gets them earlier. April is too early, Apple won't get them months before others

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Yay! Maybe I will be able to get a quad core MacBook Pro at the end of the year!

8. dimensional macrumors member

9. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

It seems then I will be getting a launch day 2011 Mac Pro (April 2011 is my 2 year upgrade cycle point!)

Some people hate Apple for it, all 2009 Mac Pro owners should love them for it! [It being the long time between upgrades]

10. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Me too. There is still time. It would have been nice on Tuesday but there are many more Tuesdays before September.

11. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The longer the 2010 update takes, the longer it will be between updates to SB as well. If in the unlikely event that Apple is waiting on SB to update, it's time to bail.

12. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Not true. The SB Xeon projected release times are not until next year this time. So if the 57xx and 37xx series launch in Sept 2011 and Apple launches in Aug 2010 then next Aug you folks would be whining and moaning about how 12 month old Mac Pros were worth anything anymore and it was some giant ripoff.

As long as Apple launches this year 10-12 months in front of the Sandy Bridge Xeon projected date there is no "delay". If they are waiting on Intel to go into production with 3620 and 3640's and doing engineering right then all of the Mac Pro development schedule is pipelined. Starting on aspects of the following one don't have to wait on a minor update to the current one.

There is also some stuff can't do too far in advance if SB Xeons are going to get PCI-e v3.0 . The standard has been delayed and hasn't even been pasted yet. Likewise getting the SB Core-i spun up to commercial production levels where there are limitations is going to take time. The reality is that it takes Intel around 9-10 months to fully roll out one of these "code name" micro architectures across the broad spectrum of the product line. The enterprise/businees/upper end tend to go toward the end because enterprise folks usually aren't early adopters.

As said before there is likey going to be a speed bump this year or next year.... it is just a matter of the vendors choosing when to take it.

13. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Yes, but Apple is so far off of anything resembling a "normal" update cycle for the MP, that all bets for future upgrade cycle time frames for the moment. I sense Apple is need of some core restructuring in the mac department nonetheless.

14. name99 macrumors 6502a

The more interesting question is: does the standard Sandy Bridge chipset support USB3? Will we have macs this year that FINALLY move beyond 35MB/s for external hard drives?
    (Yeah yeah, FW800 is the shizzle, blah blah blah. Meanwhile in the real world, where people don't want to pay a $50 tax for FW800, for the few devices that support it; so USB2 is where it's at --- not to mention that we get MULTIPLE USB ports per mac as opposed to a single FW800 port.)

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What I've read, the mainstream chipset (P67/H67, "Cougar Point") for LGA 1155 socketed CPUs won't but the successor of X58 "Tylesburg" called "X68" (unofficial name) for LGA 2011 socketed CPUs will likely support USB 3.0 natively.

16. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

This dead horse about Sandy Bridge has been beaten to death!! For God's sake, one more time, Sandy Bridge will be for consumer machines ONLY. For workstations, our best luck sits with the Westmeres (3600 and 5600 line). X5680 is already being used in Dell Workstations, 12-core. Fast as hell. Over 10,000 points higher in Geekbench than the fastest Mac Pro available!! (over 28,000).

17. Roman23 macrumors 6502

ok,

WE GET YOU, SIR!

18. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Sorry, but I just noticed there have been several threads on the Mac Pro forums about Sandy Bridge already, and Sandy Bridge architecture is slated for consumer desktops and laptops only, not the Xeon line (as of now). Westmere is where the power is, right now.

19. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There will be Sandy Bridge Xeons but not when the mainstream CPUs are launched. SB Xeons are scheduled for H2 release. When the Engadget article was released, every Mac got its own thread about SB. iMac did, MBP did, Mac Pro did. We'll be getting more of these threads. When other Macs get it, people will whine about Mac Pros getting left out, even though it's logical as there are no CPUs for Mac Pro