Sandy Bridge MBP to Release in April alongside iPad 2 possibility

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WardC, Jan 13, 2011.

1. WardC, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

According to MacRumors today:

"MacNotes.de reports that the second-generation iPad is currently scheduled to debut in the United States on one of the first two Saturdays in April: the 2nd or the 9th. (The report's headline states the 2nd or 7th, but the lead refers to "the first or second Saturday". The headline of the original German-language version correctly refers to the 9th. )"

This means that Apple could be holding a joint event for both the introduction of the iPad 2 and the Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros. This would place the release of the new MacBook Pro lineup approximately 1 year after the last release last April, and would fit in line with Apple's release schedule. Apple is known to do these things, such as the iPod event last year in which Apple released the MacBook Air at the same time. This time (early April) would give Apple enough time to get these new chips and deploy them in their lineup, and build the machines. The new Sandy Bridge chips from intel were released just a week ago.

EDIT: Sorry, it wasn't the iPod event where the MBA was intro'd, it was the "Back-to-Mac" event in October which featured Lion and iLife '11. skilltrip is right about this. The iPods were introduced earlier at a special event. But still, Apple could be introducing the iPad 2 and the new MacBook Pros on the same day.

2. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Apple didn't release the new MacBook Air during the iPod event last year. The Air debuted at the Back to the Mac event, which was all about iLife '11, and Lion.

There could very well not be an event, and most likely won't be. Apple doesn't make a big deal about a computer update unless some new technological advancement is being made.

3. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

At this point, I will take new mbp over any date before may/june.. PLEase

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Speculation also arises that the White MB will be updated and debut in April as well. That was before finding this out (which I assumed was just speculation) so now I would say it is a possibility.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

And all likely new tech advancements for the new MBPs were already showcased with the introduction of the new MBAs.

New MBPs will just show up on the Apple website early some wednesday morning, probably early March, maybe late Feb.

Hopefully we'll get some leaked motherboard pics like we did with the MBA, so we know what's coming. Preferably soon. The wait is killing me!!! :D

6. hcho3 macrumors 68030

The current MBP has maintained same design for almost 2 years and half. It's time to change up a bit. Use same unibody, but make it thinner and add SSD as standard. Apple will take their time on updating. iPad event is for an iPad. Apple will never let both MBP and iPad to be announced to compete each other. I am pretty sure MBP won't be updating until WWDC 2011 and that's June 2011. A year update? No. MBA took almost 16-17 months to be updated. Expect the same thing on MBP as they are about to changed dramatically.

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Enjoy your waiting. Apple will not update MBP for a while.

8. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Much thinner is unlikely (maybe 1-2 mm, nothing major). SSD will only be standard if it's 128-256 GB upgradeable, alongside a traditional high capacity 500-1000 GB HDD.

End of Feb to early March is still 6 weeks before mid June. That's plenty of time. And the MBP update will not be huge news. It hardly ever is. There will be no iPad 2 / iPhone 5 overshadowing.

No. 10 month update. Usually it's 8 months. Apple isn't going to try and drag out nehalem and core 2 duo for six months. Early March release is still two months, which is still too long.

Enjoy your expectations. If you're anticipating major case changes, you'll be very disappointed.

9. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You sound like any average users who use 13 inch MBP would care about core 2 Duo. Both 15 and 17 inch have Core i5 and i7. Only issue is 13 and apple always is late to adapting latest technology. Not everyone needs latest and greatest and average people don't even know what core 2 DUO really means. You are the one with expectations that apple has to go for i3/i5 on 13 inch model. Maybe, but they are in no rush.
    Look at the history, MBP had same designs for 2 years and half. It's time for change.

10. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

if you look at buyer's guide in macrumors, MBP are updated each 10 months. And 10 months from last update are in late feb / early march. they could delay it a bit if its a big change, but on the other hand , sandy bridges will be outdated by then... oh and also, the white macbook was usually updated every 5 months , and already 8 months have passed since the last white update... they're actually late!
    don't keep us waiting apple!

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If people don't know what Core 2 Duo is compared to i5 and i7, they obviously don't have high enough power requirements to justify buying a MBP. They should buy the white Macbook, or the Air.

From mid February, all of Apple's mobile and desktop CPUs will be outdated.

12. NickMela macrumors newbie

Not even close to the truth. The 13 (and the Airs) uses CoreDuo2 because of licensing issues between Intel/NVidia. Basically, Intel did not allow NVidia to produce integrated graphic chips for the i3-i5-i7 series, and because the Intel GPU sucks, Apple decided to use the older CD2 which can be coupled with the NVidia GPU. The issue is not present in the MBP 15 and 17, which can both have discrete GPUs. Hence they have i5-i7 AND NVidia chips.

Since Intel/NVIdia settled their patent issues, look forward to see Intel chips with integrated NVidia chips. These latest technology will be available on Apples as soon as they will be available.

Again, what you said had nothing to do with Apple being conservative or not being in a rush...

13. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

It pill wiss me off if Apple decides to delay the next MBP-release another 2 months only to demonstrate how much more they want to make iPads instead of Macs.

14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

NVIDIA have said (suggesting it's part of the agreement) that they are out of the chipset game. That means no NVIDIA integrated graphics with Sandy Bridge. The Intel Sandy Bridge IGP contains some of NVIDIA's intellectual property, but that's it.

15. ssn637 macrumors 6502

Which suggests that those of us who currently own the MBP 13" mid-2010 model don't have much to look forward to. Intel IGP 3000? No thank you. Sandy Bridge? The bump in processor speed and battery endurance aren't worth the upgrade for most of us. Optional configuration without the SuperDrive? Already available today with a do-it-yourself solution. Dedicated 512 MB GPU? I just don't see that happening in the 13" model with the thermal limitations. Apple could just as well tout the Sandy Bridge upgrade without the need for dedicated graphics, since battery life should be improved. But a Sandy Bridge IGP 3000 along with a dedicated GPU will only be available on the 15" models. Otherwise I'll be the first to upgrade :)

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

17. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Whatever happens, the 13" upgrade will be dull. Best case realistic scenario is 13" gets Sandy Bridge processor with the Intel IGP, and uses a dual SSD and HDD setup. Maybe 4GB RAM standard.

A more unrealistic (but still marginally possible) scenario has discrete graphics and extra battery in place of the optical drive.

18. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'm tempted to create a new thread titled "Please stop making threads about Sandy Bridge MBPs!" which would really screw with people's heads.

You know, because it's hypocritical.

19. pedrofan, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

pedrofan macrumors 6502

20. Erasmus, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

WTH??? Are there two pedrofans on this forum??? What happened to the guy who put together a neat list of all the low MBP stock resellers???

21. Brettla macrumors regular

After reading a few too many of these threads i've realized that people need to understand that Apple's updates for computers aren't supposed to be every year like the "i" products, it seems like everyday I read a post or a news article somewhere saying they should come out in april because that would be one year.