sandy bridge question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baxingo, Jan 6, 2011.

1. baxingo macrumors member

So I've seen way to many "should I upgrade now or wait" threads, but I've been out of the tech "loop" for a while, and I would just like to ask weather its worth it to wait for the new mbp if it has sandybridge with it.

So I will be going to college soon, and I'm going to be taking some film courses, and I do photoshop work and premier work with a bit of after effects. Would anyone be able to tell me weather the sandy bridge will be able to handle this better than the current cpu's or are the current cpu's going to preform better? I can wait if I have to for the new ones, but I'm currently on a $300 netbook right now, I just sold my i7 gaming/media windows computer for money to buy my macbook. I'm switching to mac for good, I'm getting sick with windows.

I'm going to wait for the 2011 mbp announcement before I make any final decisions though. I don't want to buy a current mbp if the 2011's have some crazy good upgrade and I miss out.

2. DudeMartin macrumors regular

That's what I am planning to do as well. Well the second-gen Core processors (aka Sandy Bridge) will be some of the fastest processors ever, with extra capabilities, and updated old-features (better versions of Hyper Threading, Turbo Boost, etc), so it will definitely be an update worth waiting for.

3. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

Thats awesome to hear! Aside from the fact that I have to wait a while and stay on my garbage netbook, but good to know its worth the wait! I was just worried about the integrated gpus and if they were sticking with them or using Nvidia, but we'll have to wait until they're announced!

4. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

If you're planning on getting a 15" or 17", there's nothing to worry about. The 13" might be another story.

5. baxingo thread starter macrumors member

Nah, I don't wanna be doing photo/video work on the 13" model. I would go for a 13" If I didn't do anything but web browse, or if I had an imac or mac pro. But my 15" will be my primary.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Somewhere I saw a comparison using OS X of the quad core i5 Sandy Bridge to the current i7 and the differences were not very significant. The current i7 MBP is already very fast; add an SSD and between that, i7, 8GB RAM, and the OS X platform, it is one of the fastest laptops around IMO, and there are a lot of comparison stats that show it. Also, there is no answer as to if the new MBP will even use SB quad cores, as practical limitations regarding power consumption and heat transfer materials are said to make it rather difficult to do...even the 15 and 17 MBPs are really, really thin which has resulted in their cooling mechanisms differing from many other laptops.