sandy bridge replace gpus in next mbp series?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petaters, Nov 18, 2010.

1. petaters macrumors newbie

Hello all, first post here. if this has been discussed somewhere else, do me a favor and reply a link.

I'm all set to buy a new mbp. I'm a gamer, and require the power to play newer games stably (preferably at high settings). The i7 + 330 512 megs combo looks enticing, but I had decided to wait, judging that the next series would bring even more power, as it usually does. However Intel's sandy beach is said to sport a gpu that would be a big step down from the nvidia 330s (somewhere around the range of the ati 5450 series). Needless to say I got scared. Is it probable that apple's switch to sb will mean that the next series will rely solely upon the sb's graphics chip for everything? i.e. apple would stop including an nvidia / ati gpu with the laptop? cuz that would be terrible.

thanks much,

taters

2. petaters thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

The 15" & 17" inch will get a dedicated GPU ofcourse, one that is better than the 330m.

4. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

lol

5. petaters thread starter macrumors newbie

sandy beach lol mah bad. i remember about 4.5 years ago when the ibook with the ati 1200 got updated to the first intel gpu. terrible switch, hope apple wouldn't consider something like that again. you're sure about the 15 and 17 inch?