Sandy bridge Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gregornz, Apr 7, 2013.

1. gregornz macrumors newbie

Hello, long time lingerer, first time poster.

Has anyone ever heard of the i7-2620QM? Its a sandy bridge chip apparently. According to this it was never put into a retina macbook.

The reason I ask is because I am considering buying this MC975CH.

Fake products are all too common in China, so when I see a rMBP based on a chip that isn't listed on wikipedia, I get suspicious.

I want a 15 inch retina not for the processor or gpu, but for the form-factor, so an older model would technically be perfect for me, especially at $1600 USD. I built a desktop on a i5 2500K sandy bridge and I rate it highly. I'm thinking that if this is a legit Chinese model based on old (maybe surplus) chips then it could be a bargain. Or it could be a disaster waiting to happen. Any thoughts appreciated!

2. stchman macrumors 6502a

I would pretty much bet the farm that is a fake. Other forum members can correct me, but all rMBPs are Ivy Bridge equipped.

3. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I think it would have to be, if it doesn't have Ivy then USB is capped at 2.0, and alot of the time used/resold machines are mislabeled.

4. LeeM macrumors 6502a

probably fake, wasnt there an i3 macbook pro posted up on here recently? could be some kind of prototype but if its got a processor apple never officially used, dont bother

5. gregornz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm browsing through the MC975's on taobao and I see a lot that have the processor incorrectly labeled as being a 2*** so I don't know whats going on now.

I just spoke to the shop and they said it is written wrong and should be a 3615. They also said once you bought it you own it, so that's dodgy.

The USB 2.0 point is a good one, certainly there must be no such thing as a sandy bridge rMBP.

Thanks!

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sure sign of an unreliable dealer to be avoided like the plague.