Sandy Bridge to get USB 3.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hellhammer, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Fudzilla reports that Intel has confirmed that Intel 6 chipset will natively support USB 3.0. Yes, both, mobile and desktop chipsets. Still unsure whether all chipsets or just some of them will support USB 3.0.

I would like to add that it's not 100% sure since Fudzilla didn't show any concrete evidence but they usually know their stuff. At least we have hope now

2. Blues003 macrumors 6502

Great news! Despite how good Lightpeak is, USB 3.0 in the next MBP 13'' revision would be pretty rocking.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Glad to hear, being broke has it's advantages for sure when it comes to computer buying. I need a new laptop AND workstation now, so hopefully USB3.0 will be in both the 17" MBPs and Mac Pros when I am ready to buy them in about 4-6 months.

I'd love for LightPeak to get off the ground and start moving it's way into the PC world, just so I know Apple would implement it 6 months later.

4. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can already get USB 3.0 for Mac Pro. Sandy Bridge Xeons are not coming before H2 2011 so it's unlikely that Mac Pro will be updated within 6 months. You can of course get eSATA card for Mac Pro, they are cheaper and should work better

LightPeak was pushed to 2012 by Intel so we aren't seeing it anytime soon :(

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I hope that caldigit card actually works. I'm waiting for a legit review.

As far as SB and the next MBP: I would absolutely jump all over a quad MBP. Anything less and I'm not interested...............

cheers
    JohnG

6. Hellhammer thread starter Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

7. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

sweet!

that brings my 'wanted features' list for the next MBPs down to:

no optical drive
    3G
    beastly gpu
    improved iSight cam

and i hope they un-crowd all the ports

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes, eSATA will work better, and I was hoping for built in USB3, Most of the four slots in the Mac Pro are accounted for: GFX, eSATA/RAID, capture card are already a definite addition. I don't mind taking up the 3rd with USB3.0 I guess.

Figured, haven't checked the news lately but I had a feeling it got pushed back. Part of me wonders if their "The Port to End All Ports" mentality is holding them up.

I'd rather have the optical in there, and take it out myself, OR be able to have a CTO book with dual HDDs instead. I'd still love to have more FW800 ports, express card 34 BACK on the 15", NO ethernet port, and eSATA/USB combo port before I would actually SEE the Macbook Pro as a professional machine.

9. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I'm very glad that USB 3 will show up in SB. USB 2.x just sucks for large transfers and FW 800 is getting long in the tooth.

I hope that Apple offers it on future MBPs.

Steve, are you listening? My MBP slush fund is again at $3k so if you want to take my money all you have to do is: update the MBPs to SB, include USB 3, and put in a decent video card update (not another 9600m to 330m deal). BR, eSata, 1 GB of video memory, and a quad core option would be nice but not a requirement.

-P

10. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

but that would create a bunch of wasted space inside. the point of removing it altogether ideally would be to make room for more battery, gpu or whatever else, since the disc drive takes up a ton of room. i think they should just offer an external optibay with every order.