Resolved Sanitizing Apple Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stiligFox, Jul 16, 2012.

1. stiligFox, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Hello all! I just bought a very good condition 20" Apple Cinema Display from Craigslist... One of the aluminum ones. I've tested it out and it worked great, but now I've a stickler problem.

You see, I'm a bit germaphobic and want to sanitize it, and 70% isopropyl alchohol is usually the sanitizer of choice. But I've heard that this can do dastardly things to the plastic on the screen.

Is there something better I should use? Or would cleaning it this one time (and never again) not hurt it enough to matter?

Thanks!

2. sr2012 macrumors newbie

I think you can get proper screen cleaning solutions that have some alcohol in it. 70% sounds harsh.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why do you need to clean the screen? Are you planning on touching the screen? Just get some alcohol wipes and wipe the edges and housing.

4. stiligFox thread starter macrumors 65816

stiligFox

Like I said, the reason I want to clean it is because I bought it from a stranger, and for all I know they liked to lick their fingers and touch it -- so I just want to make sure that it is sanitary before I start using it, even if I never touch it myself.

Thanks for the help though, I ended up using a 50/50 mix of 70% rubbing alcohol and water for the screen, and a Lysol wipe for the aluminum.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Outside of a complete disassembly that the best you can hope for.

You should be fine with your solution