Sanity Check on MacBook Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JohnNedlok, May 11, 2011.

1. JohnNedlok macrumors newbie

Hi all - I'm hoping someone can take a look at this list of upgrades I'm planning for my MacBook and maybe tell me if this makes sense.

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    HDD: FUJITSU MHY2120BH Capacity: 120.03 GB

I want to use this machine to run Synthogy Ivory II Grand Piano software. I also use this machine to store my iTunes library and to synch my iPhone, but not much else. So aside from Ivory, my needs are very low tech. I'd rather not buy a new MBP as it would likely need a SSD upgrade anyway.

Ivory system requirements are:
    2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
    2 GB RAM
    77 GB free hard drive space
    Hard drive speed of at least 7200 RPM

So basically this is what I'm planning on ordering:
    • 256GB Crucial RealSSD C300 2.5-inch SATA 6GB/s 9.5mm SSD (MLC)
    • 4.0GB Kit (2.0GB+2.0GB) PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SO-DIMM 200 Pin Memory Upgrade Kit
    • Newer Technology NuPower 55 Watt-Hour Battery for MacBook 13.3" White Model

The total cost for all this is about $600

As far as I can tell, this should allow me to run Ivory and will hopefully save me from having to buy a MBP + SSD, yes?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You cannot use 4GB of RAM in that machine. The max amount of RAM that it can take is 2GB. That is an awful lot of money to spend on a 2007 MacBook. You should just spend the $600 more than your upgrades and get an MBP.

3. JohnNedlok thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the input - I thought it could take up to 3.3GB RAM but maybe that's a different model. Yeah that's my dilemna I guess, because even a new MBP will need an SSD because 5400 is too slow for Ivory, and according to their tech support, even 7200 may not get the job done either. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

4. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

Apple officially supports 2 GB of RAM, but third-parties have been "unofficially" able to upgrade it to 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM (it can hold 4 GB but cannot fully utilize the memory beyond 3 GB).

I would not throw an SSD into a 3-4 year old machine. Save up for a 13" macbook pro, or get a 7200RPM 2.5" sata drive and hold off until you can replace it.

5. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Throwing 2x2GB in my late '06 seemed to help over 3GB and 2GB in my machine of course it could have been in my head.

Anyway getting to my question, what do you think about putting a 30 or 60GB SSD into a late '06 as it is used primarily for surfing the web and composing documents? It isn't that much more than a 7200rpm drive and I have another computer that is primarily used for data storage.

6. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

If you can get a sandforce based 60 GB SSD for under $100 I'd say go for it. You can always throw it into a new computer and is the best $/performance upgrade at that price point