Sanity check: Return rMBP 13" for MBA 11"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by sofakng, May 27, 2014.

1. sofakng macrumors regular

This weekend I was able to get an extremely good deal on a 13" rMBP (Haswell) but I already purchased an 11" MBA. The 11" MBA is able to be returned until tomorrow so I have to decide what I want to keep...

The rMBP's screen is absolutely beautiful but the machine is a little heavy and regardless of what people say, half-resolution (1280x800) doesn't seem to look as good as native resolution on the MBA (1366x768). The rMBP also seems to get extremely hot doing tasks such as copying files over a network, etc.

Anyways, I am looking for a secondary machine to use 90% of the time on the couch (when my iPad Air won't work because I need a full OS), so I'm actually thinking of keeping the MBA and returning the rMBP. Am I crazy? Also, I don't ever travel. I'm just looking for something to use on the couch for light gaming or retro PC gaming (i.e. old Sierra games, etc)

2. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

As a secondary machine, no, i dont think you are crazy...

3. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I'm waiting for a high-spec 13" rMBP (due from the Apple Store later this week) to replace my i7 11" MBA as my desktop machine.

The only reason I opted for the 13" rMBP is because I'm anxious to check out the retina display. Other than that, I'd have bought an "ultimate" 13" MBA.

I don't question your sanity at all. I think the 11" MBA is a terrific little machine. I use CC/CS6 quite a lot, and the MBA has yet to even hiccup with everything I've thrown at it.

I'm hoping a faster i7 processor and more RAM will make the rMBP seem speedier. If that's not the case, I'll return the rMBP and get the MBA.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

The retina does look much clearer at any resolution than the mba.
    The rmbp gets hot and you posted almost the exact same post in the mbp section.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can set the rMBP to look like 1440x900 and it will look better.

6. Plerf macrumors newbie

I agree: I run my 15" rMBP at 1920 x 1200 (or whatever) and it's amazing. Keep the Retina 13!

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd keep the rMBP myself. The screen is just too nice to give up :D

8. j0nblayz macrumors member

j0nblayz

i was in the same situation, after days of using both, i decided on rmbp 13". I just couldn't go back to the 11" screen after using the 13" retina. its just so much sharper. Wait few more days, I'm hoping apple releases a 12" retina.

9. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

I think the difference between the rMBP and a MBA is the same as eating a McDonalds burger vs a steak dinner.

10. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Well, I own both now ... and I can tell you the "ultimate" MBA compares quite favorably with the "ultimate" 13" rMBP.

As already noted, the rMBP runs noticeably hotter. Responsiveness is about the same - particularly when connected to a TBD - and I've already been struck by the thought that the extra $200 I spent on rMBP RAM might well have gone to something more beneficial.

I'm sure I'll enjoy my rMBP as much as I enjoy my MBA, but don't let me sound like a fanatic. Once in a while, I like a Big Mac.

11. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

The screen on the 13 inch MBA makes me cringe, its bigger, and barely lighter but I understand people will settle for a big mac.

12. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

The 11" air is a lovely machine but I've never used a retina MBP to compare. Will be nice when we eventually get retina airs.

13. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

Depends on the tradeoffs ... for example, if a better screen takes away five hours of battery life, I think I'll hang onto my 2013 11".

This is the balancing act Apple's trying to manage ... and why, despite pages and pages of rumormongering, there was no new MBA with retina display today.