Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdemers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
According to this article, Intel's Santa Rosa platform may be delayed until September or October of 2007.

I had long expected this platform to mark the next revision of iMacs, whether it was a merely processor/chipset bump or a totally new form factor.

Given that Intel is now rumored not be able to deliver a faster mobile platform until Q3/Q4 this year, what does that leave for Apple to do with the current iMac? (which in September would be one year old) Perhaps we're in for a longer wait than we thought, or perhaps we'll see a bold move to Conroes with a much faster FSB. (although the heat requirements may create a need for a new form factor)

What do you think Apple's next move will be? (and when!)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
They've proven to be very overclockable, so Intel will probably goose the speed up several more times.

They need to make the GeForce 7600GT optional on the 20" iMac too.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm still holding out for Penryn. Increasing the front side bus speed won't really benefit a mobile application. 800 MHz from 667 MHz isn't that amazing.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm still in a state of amazement over how much faster the Core is than the G4...so I haven't been too worried about what's in the pipeline.

If AMD's upcoming CPU line isn't butt-kicking, Intel will have a bigger slice of the consumer CPU pie than it has in years.

bdemers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
As you can tell, I've been trying to follow the Santa Rosa update as closely as possible. But frankly, Intel hasn't said much of anything for a 2007 timeline as far as I can see.

What's strange is that while I found this one article talking about September/October release, there must have been fifteen others published today that still say "April/May."

Are these April/May people just not informed of the latest information, or is this a bogus article I found?:confused:

Chef Medeski

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
New York, NY
As you can tell, I've been trying to follow the Santa Rosa update as closely as possible. But frankly, Intel hasn't said much of anything for a 2007 timeline as far as I can see.

What's strange is that while I found this one article talking about September/October release, there must have been fifteen others published today that still say "April/May."

Are these April/May people just not informed of the latest information, or is this a bogus article I found?:confused:
Yeah when I saw this article I was confused. Most of the articles I read were talking about Robson technology and how Apple was implementing it. And how it was due for a Marc/April release. I doubt it will take that long. I definetly see a Feb/Marc/April dates for Pro and reg. Book replacements. Next. Gen MacBook Pro and rev. of Macbook.

edit: There could still be more bad news to come. “We believe that the consumer-oriented Vista launch and the second-quarter introduction of Santa Rosa could ultimately lead to a revenue shortfall,” Morgan Stanley Dean Witter analyst Mark Edelstone wrote in a report to investors.

Second Quarter ends in March, no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.