Santa Rosa MacBook Performance Tests at MacWorld.com!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smadder, Nov 12, 2007.

1. smadder macrumors member

It turns out that the 2.2Ghz model performs almost exactly like the 2.2 SRMBP. The only excepton is fps and, as expected, the dedicated 128MB Nvidia card slams the X3100 chipset. But for the non-gamer, it is pretty much the same across the board as far as performance goes (either ahead by a point or two, or behind by a point or two) and in some tests it outperforms the MBP.

Here's the link.
    http://www.macworld.com/2007/11/firstlooks/macbook_bench/index.php

Pretty cool, huh? I know it's not a huge surprise, but it's nice to get that performance upgrade and overhaul shoehorned into an MB. I think it's a quantum leap under the hood. They'll be able to use this chipset for a while. Intel's next-gen mobile platform is going to support 800Mhz RAM, so the entire system will run at 800Mhz (catching up w/ AMD who already have this feature), but I doubt the MB will see that chipset for quite some time. I do think they'll jack in into the MBP as soon as it's available.

Would I like a revamp of the MB? Sure!! Especially an LED screen w/ higher resolution (and possibly a full 14" - it looks like it would fit in the current, gigantic bezel). But overall, it's a great design as is and is relatively very new. They used the MB to try out a lot of new features before implementing them in other new product designs - flat keyboard, removeable HD, thinner construction, latch-less magnetic closure, etc.).

That is the great thing about the MB: it's a nicely executed departure from the iBook design. It's evolution at it's finest, keeping the aesthetic similar, but jacking the performance capabilities by a huge margin and redoing the enclosure entirely. It used to be a huge debate: settle for a much slower iBook or spend a ton more for the PowerBook. It's so cool that you can get a fast Intel C2D-based laptop (and at high speeds too. No more 1.6, 1.8... If you check intel's site, they go all the way down to 1.4, and that's not even the low voltage chips) that isn't some crappy, low speed, true entry-level PC. It's NOT a discount laptop, but it sure is priced close to one which is incredible considering the features. I went to Dell's site and configured their 13.3" notebook and it's way more expensive when you trick it out to try and match the MBs. It does have some great attributes (card slots, MMcard reader, etc.), but it's a hell of a lot more money.

I doubt Apple will do anything more than upgrade the MB guts until after they issue a MAJOR revamped MBP, which for all intents and purposes, is currently VERY much like the end-of-line PowerBook G4s in terms of construction.

I was waiting for quite a bit to get my hands on an SRMB, and I love it so far. Tiger doesn't work so hot on it (AppleCare has told me that with the upcoming 10.4.11 release, it will solve these issues, mostly hardware compatibility stuff), and I REALLY like Tiger. All of my utilities save Symantec AV (not the whole suite, just AV) won't work w/ Leopard yet, and some companies are providing free updates, some are charging. I wanted to wait several months before gong to Leopard (and hopefully a 10.5.1 or greater update as well), but once these became available a couple of weeks ago I had to do it. It will be salient for me and my needs (as far as I can tell now) for at least 2-3 years.

Not that I won't succumb to what will probably be the sexiest laptop ever when they redo the MBP case and design :)

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

its this kind of stuff that makes me wonder if I really need a mbp, and should just get a new sr blackbook... but 2.6 sr mbp would be so cool

3. smadder thread starter macrumors member

$$$$$

Yeah, but that's sooooo much green. I just got my SR MB set up: 4GB RAM + Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB HD. It's as fast or faster than the 2.2 SR MBP with the same mods... except for the graphics on gaming and heavy duty video editing. As far as everything else goes, it's the same thing, only a lot cheaper. I hope 10.5.1 has updated graphics drivers....

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i think then this just shows us how much the mbp is due for a decent upgrade so they can call themselves "pro" models for a reason. with a good upgrade i don't think they will nearly as similar as they are now!

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Only it's all on a 13 inch, glossy 1280x800 screen. With no fw800, or DVI port, or illuminated keyboard or...

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

CPU and Motherboard are only a part of the computer, no doubt probably the most important part but there are three features about the MBP that make it PRO and WORTH the difference even now that the chipset is the same:

1. Dedicated graphics card - now that Leopard relies heavily on the GPU the performance is not solely focused on raw CPU power

2. 15.4 or 17" display, not to mention LED on 15.4" and the highest pixel count of any laptop LCD in existence on the 17"

3. Hard drive speeds on macbooks only go up to 5400 rpm on apple-built models (which is most of consumer base)

The only real problem with the macbook pro is the battery life but that is what is to be expected of a true desktop replacement.

7. fewture macrumors regular

please don't try to use Apple's language of 'Pro' and 'Consumer' like it means anything

Its means absolutely nothing ('the MBP is a pro machine whereas the MB is just for consumer').

Firewire800 and having 'a' video card doesn't make anything PRO (plus the rest)

Its nice, works better for some things, but many programs which are completely pro perform exactly the same on a MB or MBP.

8. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I don't think it is "pro" in the sense that professionals use it, only in that it is a useful adjective to describe an upgraded product - ie. like dell uses the term "xps" on all their upgraded products, apple uses the word "pro." To apple, pro=upraded and those were the reasons it was worth it go up and upgrade the computer.

9. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Yep

Ditto. I think the new design is going to be a mind blower/drool-worthy.

10. smadder thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's what I was trying to say. If you NEED the adv. graphics, a larger screen and FW800, the choice is obvious: MBP. I think for a new mac person, or new intel mac person, who is trying to decide btw. the two, it's cool that the MB offers this level of performance for the money.

11. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Of course, with the Macbook, you can upgrade the hard drive yourself and save a ton of money. I still can't believe that after nearly 2 years, the Macbook Pro still doesn't have a user-upgradeable hard drive. That's a pretty big deal. It's basically the same case design as the 2003 Powerbooks - 5 years old this MWSF! :eek:

;)

12. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

having just sold my 2.4 MBP and now have the macbook 2.2 save your money the screen is better on the macbook and the colors are much better

The illuminated keys are not all that on the macbook pro they are lacking much.....

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Just saying, there's still a lot separating the two product even if they had the same chips.

14. ale500 macrumors regular

MB may not have a full-sized DVI, but the mini DVI carries all the needed signals, analog, digital and composite (it is analog, but of other kind to the before mentioned analog).

The MBPs more importantly, have an Expresscard slot. Something the MBs are also lacking. Much more important that the backlit kbd. (Even 500€ Peecees have an expansion, expresscard or PCMCIA!)